II.-East Turkestan East or Chinese Turkestan, sometimes called Kashgaria, is a region in the heart of Asia, lying between the Tian-shan ranges on the north and the Kuen-lun ranges on the south, and stretching east from the Pamirs to the desert of Gobi and the Chinese province of Kan-su (98° E.).
A telegraph line was constructed between Lanchow in the Chinese province of Kan-su and Turfan in 1893.
The provincial capital is Nan-ch'ang Fu, on the Kan Kiang, about 35 m.
The largest river is the Kan Kiang, which rises in the mountains in the south of the province and flows north-east to the Po-yang Lake.
LAN - CHOW-FU, the chief town of the Chinese province of Kan-suh, and one of the most important cities of the interior part of the empire, on the right bank of the Hwang-ho.
Kan, "Onze geographische kennis der Keij-Eilanden," in Tijdschrift Aardrijkskundig Genootschap (1887); Martin, "Die Kei-inseln u.
From this city as their base the Arabs, under Kotaiba (Qotaiba) ibn Moslim, early in the 8th century brought under subjection Balkh, Bokhara, Ferghana and Kashgaria, and penetrated into China as far as the province of Kan-suh.
The collective name for the corps was celeres (" the swift," or possibly from Kan s, "a riding horse"); Livy, however, restricts the term to a special body-guard of ' Romulus.
Miles Port Sudan Suakin Kan fuda " Suakin .1.‘ MarsaHali
KAN GO JAPANESE
Mary's College, Kan., studied art at the school of the San Francisco (Cal.) Art Association, and during 1890-3 attended the Academie Julien and the Rcole des Beaux Arts in Paris.
They appear to have been a nomad tribe, inhabiting part of the present Chinese province of Kan-suh, and to have been driven W.
In length, extends from the bluffs of Kansas City, Kan., across the Kansas valley to tile bluffs of Kansas City, Mo., and is used by pedestrians, vehicles and street cars.
High, named Lung-shan by Obruchev, which borders the Kan-chow and Lianchow valley on the N.E., and belongs to the Nan-shan system.
But the string of oases in Kan-suh province, which stretches between the towns named, lies on the lower level of the Mongolian plateau (4000 to 5000 ft.), so that the Lung-shan ought possibly to be regarded as a continuation of the Pe-shan mountains of the Gobi.
The four leading Maya signs called kan, muluc, ix, cauac corresponded in their position to the four Aztec signs rabbit, reed, flint, house, but the meanings of the Maya signs are, unlike the Aztec, very obscure.
Jansen, Die Herzogsgewalt der Erzbischiife von Kan in Westfalen (Munich, 1895); Holzapfel, Das Konigreich Westfalen (Magdeburg, 1895); G.
It is served by the St Louis & San Francisco, the Missouri Pacific, and the St Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern railways, and is connected with Webb City and Joplin, Mo., and Galena, Kan., by the electric line of the Southwest Missouri railway.
Of the Chulym, a tributary of the Ob, intersects the Siberian railway at Krasnoyarsk, and is joined first by the Kan and then by the Upper (Verkhnyaya), the Stony (Podkamennaya), and the Lower (Nizhnyaya) Tunguzka, all from the right.
There we are told that Fanni, a scion of the southern Liang dynasty of the Tu-bat family (which flourished from 397 to 415 at Lian-chow in Kansuh), who had submitted to the northern Liang dynasty, fled in 433 with all his people from his governorship of Lin-sung (in Kan-chow) westwards across the Yellow river, and founded beyond Tsih-shih (" heapy stones ") a state amidst the Kiang tribes, with-a territory extending over a thousand li.
In the Greek Church it has been or is known as r&axa [a-7- au 7rapaaK€v?7, 7rapao-Kan) A y&X?7 or &yia, acorrlpta or T& acorilpca, 'ijµEpa Tou aravpoii, while among the Latins the names of most frequent occurrence are Pascha Crucis, Dies Dominicae Passionis, Parasceve, Feria Sexta Paschae, Feria Sexta Major in Hierusalem, Dies Absolutionis.
The city is supplied with water drawn from the Missouri river above the mouth of the Kansas or Kaw (which is used as a sewer by Kansas City, Kan.); the main pumping station and settling basins being at Quindaro, several miles up the river in Kansas; whence the water is carried beneath the Kansas, through a tunnel, to a high-pressure distributing station in the west bottoms. The waterworks (direct pressure system) were acquired by the city in 1895.
It is admirably situated as a trade centre and serves as a depot for the silk from Chehkiang and Szech`uen, the tea from Hu-peh and Ho-nan, and the sugar from Szech`uen destined for the markets of Kan-suh, Turkestan, Kulja and Russia.
By the province of Kan-suh, S.
Leaving the west gate of the city two roads lead to Lan-chow Fu, from which town begins the great high road into Central Asia by way of Lian-chow Fu, Kan-chow Fu and Su-chow to Hami, where it forks into two branches which follow respectively the northern and southern foot of the Tian-shan range, and are known as the Tian-shan pei lu and the Tian-shan nan lu.
It has few manufactures, but does an extensive trade principally in the importation of silk from Cheh-kiang and Sze-ch`uen, tea from Hu-peh and Hu-nan, and sugar from Sze-ch`uen, and in the exportation of these and other articles (such as skins and furs) to Kan-suh, Russia and Central Asia.
The Shen-si opium is much valued by smokers and ranked next to the Shan-si drug, which was second only to that produced in Kan-suh.
Connelly, Doniphan's Expedition and the Conquest of New Mexico and California (Topeka, Kan., 1907); L.
KAN-SUH, a north-western province of China, bounded N.
Western Kan-suh is mountainous, and largely a wilderness of sand and snow, but east of the Hwang-ho the country is cultivated.
Of Kan-suh are cloth, horse hides, a kind of curd like butter which is known by the Mongols under the name of wuta, musk, plums, onions, dates, sweet melons and medicines.
K`iung-chow-hien, in which the capital is situated; Ting-an-hien, the only inland district; Wen-ch`ang-hien, in the north-east of the island; Hui-t`unghien, Lo-hui-hien, Ling-shu-hien, Wan-chow, Yai-chow (the southmost of all), Kan-en-hien Chang-hwa-hien, Tan-chow, Lin-kao-hien and Ch'eng-mai-hien.
Kan, "Celebes," in the Encyclopaedie van Nederlandsch Indie, ed.