The Kwang-tung coast abounds with islands, the largest of which is Hainan, which forms part of the prefecture of K`iung-chow Fu.
Canton, Swatow, K`iung-chow (in Hainan), Pakhoi, San-shui are among the treaty ports.
HAINAN, or, as it is usually called in Chinese, K`iung-chow fu, a large island belonging to the Chinese province of Kwang-tung, and situated between the Chinese Sea and the Gulf of Tong-king from 20° 8' to 17° 52' N., and from 108° 32' to 111° 15' E.
K`iung-chow-hien, in which the capital is situated; Ting-an-hien, the only inland district; Wen-ch`ang-hien, in the north-east of the island; Hui-t`unghien, Lo-hui-hien, Ling-shu-hien, Wan-chow, Yai-chow (the southmost of all), Kan-en-hien Chang-hwa-hien, Tan-chow, Lin-kao-hien and Ch'eng-mai-hien.
The capital K'iung-chow-fu is situated in the north about ro li (or 3 m.) from the coast on the river.
The population of K`iung-chow, including its shipping port of Hoi-how, is estimated at 52,000.
627 the name of K`iung-chow came into use.
According to the treaty of Tientsin, the capital K`iung-chow and the harbour Hoi-how (Hai-Kow) were opened to European commerce; but it was not till 1876 that advantage was taken of the permission.