An opening in the south jetty affords an entrance into Agha harbour, constructed in Agha Bay.
In length, from the eastern jetty of the old, harbour.
It is provided with a jetty, is the sea terminus of the railway systems, the residence of the governor, and has churches, schools, hospitals and large business houses.
A jetty exceeding a quarter of a mile in length permits the approach of vessels at all tides.
Side by a concrete jetty 1054 ft.
The north jetty is 4 000 ft.
Long, the east jetty 3300 ft., and the breakwater - which protects the port from the prevalent north-east winds-2300 ft.
Long jetties spring out on either side of the entrance, curving round about midway in order to run parallel to the river, thus forming a huge funnelshaped entrance; the eastern jetty forms a landing-stage for passenger traffic and the western is designed for the shipment of bunker and cargo coal.
A little farther west, at the foot of the central jetty is a statue of Van Riebeek, the first governor of the Cape.
In a line with the jetty is Adderley Street, and its continuation Government Avenue.
The harbour, lying to the east of the town, is protected on the south by a peninsula which carries the citadel and terminates in the Citadel jetty; to the south-west of this peninsula lies the Place Bonaparte, a quarter frequented chiefly by winter visitors attracted by the mild climate of the town.
The harbour, artificially constructed, and equipped with a jetty and piers, admits vessels of 250 tons.
Along the shore in a southerly direction from the long jetty which protects the entrance to the port.
The work of construction was under the control of the Inland Waterways and Docks Section of the Royal Engineers, and involved the reclamation of a large tract of swampy foreshore, the widening and deepening of the waterway, the construction of a wharf and jetty nearly a mile in length equipped with powerful cranes and of docks for the building and repair of certain kinds of craft, the erection of acres of hutments and store-sheds, and the laying of some 50 m.
It has since grown considerably, and is provided with wharves and docks and a jetty 1066 ft.
In length, and a jetty 860 ft.
- Jetty Street leads from the north jetty to the market square, in or around which are grouped the chief public buildings - the town-hall, court-house, post office, market buildings, public library, St Mary's church (Anglican) and St Augustine's (Roman Catholic).
There is a coaling jetty and camber for the storage of both sea-borne and land-borne coal, with hydraulic appliances for handling it.