I see JETHRO; and consult H.
He appears in Midian at the "Mount of God" (Horeb) dwelling with its priest Jethro, one of whose seven daughters he married, thus becoming the father of Gershom and Eliezer.
Smith, Prophets of Israel, p. Iii); more prominence is evidently to be ascribed to the influence of the half-Arabian Jethro or Hobab, and this must be taken into consideration with what is known of Kenite and kindred clans (Exod.
29-33; see Jethro; Kenites).
One fragmentary source alludes to a journey to the Midianite or Kenite father-in-law of Moses with the Ark (q.v.); another knows of its movements with David and the priest Abiathar (a name closely related to Jether or Jethro; cf.
Moses, Jethro), &c., like the intimate relationship between Israel and surrounding lands, havea significance in the light of recent research.
The Jethro Coffin House was built in 1686, according to tradition; the Old North Vestry, the first Congregational meeting-house, built in r 7 r r, was moved in 1767, and again in 1834 to its present site on Beacon Hill.
Thus Jethro Tull (17th century), with whose name the beginning of FIG.
And direct the people upon the march not only does Moses require the assistance of a human helper (Jethro or Hobab), but the angel, the ark, the pillar of cloud and of fire and the mysterious hornet are also provided.
Horeb, after the latter had taken leave of Jethro, and, later on, accompanies him into the presence of Pharaoh.
18, as contrasted with the name Jethro, which occurs in iii.
The visit of Jethro to Moses and the appointment of judges.
17) with Jether (cp. Jethro) and Heber (cp. Kenites).
JETHRO (or Jether, Exod.
Jethro was the priest of Yahweh, and resided at the sacred mountain where the deity commissioned Moses to deliver the Israelites from Egypt.
Subsequently Jethro came to Moses (probably at Kadesh), a great sacrificial feast was held, and the priest instructed Moses in legislative procedure; Exod.
Jethro was invited to accompany the people into the promised land, and later, we find his clan settling in the south of Judah (Judg.