From the mouth of the Hugli, 120 m.
CHANDERNAGORE, or Chandarnagar, a French settlement in India, with a small adjoining territory, situated on the right bank of the river Hugli, 20 m.
The European town is situated at the bottom of a beautiful reach of the Hugli, with clean wide thoroughfares, and many elegant residences along the river-bank.
The most westerly is the Hugli, which receives the waters of a number of distributary channels that start from the parent Ganges above Murshidabad.
Between the Hugli on the west and the Meghna on the east lies the delta.
The most important channel of the Ganges for commerce is the Hugli, on which stands Calcutta, about 90 m.
Below Calcutta important boat routes through the delta connect the Hugli with the eastern branches of the river, for both native craft and steamers.
The famine commissioners in 1867 reported it to be the best harbour on the coast of India from the Hugli to Bombay.
His empire rivalled that of Asoka, extending from the Hugli on the east to the Jumna and Chambal on the west, and from the foot of the Himalayas on the north to the Nerbudda on the south.
In 1651 the English reached Hugli, which was at that time the chief port of Bengal; about that year Gabriel Boughton, a surgeon, obtained from the Mogul viceroy permission for the English to trade in Bengal.
In 1657 Hugli became the head agency in Bengal, with Balasore and Cossimbazar in the Gangetic delta and Patna in Behar under its control.
Two of the ships with 308 soldiers arrived at the Hugli river in the autumn of 1686.
At this time Job Charnock was the chief of the Bengal council, and, owing to an affray with the Mogul troops at Hugli on the 28th of October 1686, he embarked the company's goods and servants on board light vessels and dropped down the on the 31st of December 1600, and the first expedition of four ships under James Lancaster left Torbay towards the end of April 1601, and reached Achin in Sumatra on the 5th of June 16.02, returning with a cargo of spices.
But Calcutta was the headquarters of the British, Chandernagore of the French, and Chinsura of the Dutch, all three towns being situated close to each other in the lower reaches of the Hugli, where the river is navigable for large ships.
Here the cultivation of the plant extends from the Hugli through eastern and northern Bengal.
And 88° 24' E., on the left or east bank of the Hugli, about 80 m.
The port of Calcutta is one of the busiest in the world, and the banks of the Hugli rival the port of London in their show of shipping.
The water-supply is derived from the river Hugli, about 16 m.
In 1620 one of the Company's factors dates from Patna; in 1624-1636 the Company established itself, by the favour of the emperor, on the ruins of the ancient Portuguese settlement of Pippli, in the north of Orissa; in 1640-1642 an English surgeon, Gabriel Boughton, obtained establishments at Balasore, also in Orissa, and at Hugli, some miles above Calcutta.
In 1686 the English merchants at Hugli under Charnock's leadership, finding themselves compelled to quit their factory in consequence of a rupture with the Mogul authorities, retreated about 26 m.
Down the river to Sutanati, a village on the banks of the Hugli, now within the boundaries of Calcutta.
Some parts of it lay below high-water mark on the Hugli, and its low level throughout rendered its drainage a most difficult problem.
The majority of the English officials took ship and fled to the mouth of the Hugli river.