Cattle and pine lumber are sent to Cuba, and Havana tobacco and fine grades of Cuban timber are imported.
Branch of the United railways of Havana, of which it is the W.
From its mouth, in 1774 by Phineas Lyman (1716-1774) of Connecticut and other "military adventurers," veterans of the Havana campaign of 1762; this settlement was loyal during the War of Independence.
As captain of the "Cornwall" (80),(80), the flagship of Sir Charles Knowles, he was in the battle with the Spaniards off Havana on the 2nd of October 1748.
Dr Kane died at Havana on the 16th of February 1857, at the age of thirty-seven.
From Havana); and the Yucatan Channel, about 130 m.
Shore, beginning at the W., Bahia Honda, Havana, Matanzas, Cardenas, Nuevitas and Nipe; and on the S.
Of Havana; the Vuelta Arriba (" upper turn "), E.
Of Havana to CienfuegosVuelta Abajo and Vuelta Arriba are also used colloquially at any point in the island to mean " east " and " west " - Las Cinco Villas - i.e.
Part, with the provinces of Matanzas and Havana, is flat and rolling, with occasional hills a few hundred feet high.
The caves of Cotilla near Havana, of Bellamar near Matanzas, of Monte Libano near Guantanamo, and those of San Juan de los Remedios, are the best known, but there are scores of others.
At Guantanamo and Trinidad are other valleys, and between Mariel and Havana is the fine valley of Ariguanabo.
High), the Rosario Fall in Pinar del Rio, and the Almendares cascade near Havana, may also be mentioned.
The best buildings in Havana are constructed of a very rich white limestone, soft and readily worked when fresh, but hardening and slightly darkening with age.
Those near San Diego, Guanabacoa and Santa Maria del Rosario (near Havana) and Madruga (near Gaines) are the best known.
At Havana the mean temperature is about 76° F., with extreme monthly oscillations ranging on the average from 6° to 12° F.
The mean rainfall at Havana is about 40 6 in.
Coast were ruined and the banana industry prostrated; and in 1906 Havana suffered damage.
Yellow fever (which first appeared in Cuba in 1647) was long the only epidemic disease, Havana being an endemic focus.
Three-fourths of all are in the jurisdictions of Cienfuegos, Cardenas, Havana, Matanzas and Sagua la Grande, which are the great sugar centres of the island (three-fourths of the crop coming from Matanzas and Santa Clara provinces).
Tobacco of Cuba comes from Pinar del Rio province; Tobacco the rest mainly from the provinces of Havana and Santa Clara, - the description de partido being applied to the leaf not produced in Havana and Pinar del Rio provinces, and sometimes to all produced outside the vuelta abajo.
Some " caf e tales " were established by the newcomers near Havana, but the industry has always been almost exclusively one of Santiago province; with Santa Clara as a much smaller producer.
The tobacco industries are very largely concentrated in Havana, and there are factories in Santiago de las Vegas and Bejucal.
The first railroad in Cuba (and the first in Spanish lands) was opened from Havana to Gaines in 1837.
Havana, Santiago and Cienfuegos are cable ports.
The average of settlement per square mile varied from 169.7 in Havana province to 11.8 in Camaguey, and was 46.4 for all of Cuba; the percentage of urban population (in cities, that is, with more than 1000 inhabitants) in the different provinces.
Varied from 18.2 in Pinar del Rio to 74.7 in Havana, and was 43.9 for the entire island.
Foreigners constituted 25.6% of the population in the city of Havana; only 7% in Pinar del Rio province.
Justice is administered by courts of various grades, with a supreme court at Havana as the head; the members of this being appointed by the president and senate.
There are six provinces - Pinar del Rio, Havana, Matanzas, Santa Clara, Camaguey or Puerto Principe, and Oriente.
The university of Havana (founded of the island was practically absolute.
Because of the isolation of the eastern part of the island, the dangers from pirates, and the important considerations which had caused Santiago de Cuba (q.v.) to be the first capital of the island, Cuba was divided in 1607 into two departments, and a governor, subordinate in military matters to the captain-general at Havana, was appointed to rule the territory east of Puerto Principe.
Two chief courts of justice (audiencias) sat at Havana (after 1832) and Puerto Principe (1800-1853); appeals could go to Spain; below the audiencias were "alcaldes mayores " or district judges and ordinary " alcaldes " or local judges.
In 1907 the number of students was 554 Below the university there are six provincial institutes, one in each province, in each of which there is a preparatory department, a department of secondary education, and (this due to peculiar local conditions) a school of surveying; and in that of Havana commercial departments in addition.
In Havana, also, there is a school of painting and sculpture, a school of arts and trades, and a national library, all of which are supported or subventioned by the national government, as are also a public library in Matanzas, and the Agricultural Experiment Station at Santiago de las Vegas.
Independent of the government are various schools and learned societies in Havana (q.v.).
Baracoa (the landing point), Bayamo, Santiago de Cuba, Puerto Principe, Sancti Spiritus, Trinidad and the original Havana were all founded by 1515.
In 1762 Havana was captured after a long resistance by a British force under Admiral Sir George Pocock and the earl of Albemarle, with heavy loss to the besiegers.
Among the governors of the 19th century Miguel Tacon, governor in 1834-1839, a forceful and high-handed soldier, deserves mention, especially in the annals of Havana; he ruled as a tyrant, made many reforms as regarded law and order, and left Havana, in particular, full of municipal improvements.
The Spanish volunteers committed horrible excesses in Havana and other places; the rebels also burned and killed indiscriminatingly, and the war became increasingly cruel and sanguinary.
A constitutional convention sat at Havana from the 5th of November 1900 to the 21st of February 1901.
Pechardo, Geografia de la isla de Cuba (4 tom., Havana, 1854); M.