Augusta was originally a part of the township of Hallowell (incorporated in 1771); in 1797 the north part of Hallowell was incorporated as a separate town and named Harrington; and later in the same year the name was changed to Augusta.
P. Hallowell, The Quaker Invasion of Massachusetts (1887), and The Pioneer Quakers (1887).
P. Hallowell, The Quaker Invasion of Massachusetts (Boston, 1883; rev. ed., 1887).
On Captain's Hill is the Standish Monument (begun in 1872), a circular tower, on an octagonal base, of rough Hallowell granite, surmounted by a statue of Miles Standish, 124 ft.
The state penal and reformatory institutions consist of the state prison at Thomaston, the state (reform) school for boys at South Portland, and a state industrial school for girls at Hallowell, established in 1875 and taken over by the state in 1899.
Williamson, History of the State of Maine (Hallowell, 1832); J.