One of the daughters, Anne Bellamy, was arrested and imprisoned in the gatehouse of Holborn.
It consists of an outer court entered through a gatehouse, the church and chapter-house, with other buildings lying on the north side, partly surrounded by monastic dwellinghouses.
By the Cuckmere river; it is altered into a dwelling house, but retains a gatehouse, crypt and other portions of Early English date.
In the vicinity, Monk Bretton Priory, a Cluniac foundation of 1157, retains a Perpendicular gatehouse, some Decorated domestic remains, and fragments of the church.
On the high ground to the west lie ruins of the Cistercian abbey of Merevale, founded in 1149; they include the gatehouse chapel, part of the refectory and other remains exhibiting beautiful details of the 14th century.
There is a fine Tudor gatehouse of brick, and the hall is dated 1663.
At Bothal on the river (from which parish that of Ashington was formed) is the castle originally belonging to the Bertram family, of which Roger Bertram probably built the gatehouse, the only habitable portion remaining, in the reign of Edward III.
In Cover Dale near Middleham is the ruined Premonstratensian abbey of Coverham, founded here in the 13th century and retaining a gatehouse and other portions of Decorated date.
In modern times the gatehouse again became associated with the Order, and is the headquarters of the St John's Ambulance Association.
Before the battle, in which King Harold fell, William vowed to build an abbey on the spot if he should prove victorious, and in 10 94 the consecration took place with great pomp. The gatehouse, forming a picturesque termination to the main street of the town, is Decorated; and there also remain parts of the foundations of the Norman church, of the Perpendicular cloisters, and of the Early English refectory.
Of a Benedictine abbey dedicated to the same saints there remain a gatehouse and lodge, and a fine doorway.
Of the old castle, the gatehouse and other parts are of Norman construction, but the mansion near it was built by Sir Walter Raleigh.
Of the mansion-house founded by William of Waynflete, bishop of Winchester (c. 1450), in which Cardinal Wolsey resided for three or four weeks after his sudden fall from power in 1529, only the gatehouse remains.
Close by are the remains of St Mary's Priory, which comprise a large Perpendicular gatehouse, refectory, precinct wall, abbot's gate and still-house.
There was a gatehouse at each end and a chapel or crypt in the centre, dedicated to St Thomas of Canterbury, in which Peter of Colechurch was buried in 1205.
The gatehouse is restored as a residence, and the Early English refectory as a church.
Outer and inner ward, and the gatehouse (D) affording communication between the two.
Might be riding to the stable (F), built adjacent to the inner gatehouse (E).
The principal portions of the building remaining are the gatehouse, now used as a dwelling-house; Caesar's tower, the only portion built by Geoffrey de Clinton now extant, with massive walls 16 ft.