Fishkill Landing >>
FISHKILL LANDING, or Fishkill-On-The-Hudson, a village of Fishkill township, Dutchess county, New York, U.S.A., about 58 m.
Pop. (1890) 3617; (1900) 3673, of whom 5 4 0 were foreign-born; (1905, state census) 3939, of Fishkill township (1890) 11,840; (1goo) 13,016; (1905; state census) 13,183.
In the township are also the villages of Matteawan, Fishkill and Glenham.
Fishkill Landing is served by the New York Central & Hudson River and the New York, New Haven & Hartford railways; by railway ferry and passenger ferries to Newburgh, connecting with the West Shore railway; by river steamboats and by electric railway to Matteawan.
On Fishkill Creek is the village of Fishkill (incorporated in 1 899), pop. (1905) 579.
At the old Verplanck mansion in Fishkill Landing the Society of the Cincinnati was organized in 1783.
Among the manufactures of Fishkill Landing are rubber-goods, engines (Corliss) and other machinery, hats, silks, woollens, and brick and tile.
The village of Fishkill Landing was incorporated in 1864.
The township of Fishkill was, like Newburgh, an important military post during the War of Independence, and was a supply depot for the northern Continental Army.