During a long and active life, he played many parts: professor of mathematics at the Elphinstone college (1854) founder of the Rast Goftar newspaper; partner in a Parsi business firm in London (1855); prime minister of Baroda (1874); member of the Bombay legislative council (1885); M.P. for Central Finsbury (1892-1895), being the first Indian to be elected to the House of Commons; three times president of the Indian National Congress.
By Finsbury, S.E.
Between Westminster, the City and Stepney, and the northern boroughs - St Marylebone (commonly Marylebone), Holborn, Finsbury, Shoreditch, Bethnal Green.
The Wallbrook rose in a marsh in the modern district of Finsbury, and joined the Thames close to the Cannon Street railway bridge.
Experiments on a short section of the line were made in 1900, and later schemes were set on foot to electrify the District system and bring under one general control this railway, other lines in deep level " tubes " between Baker Street and Waterloo, between Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead, and between Hammersmith, Brompton, Piccadilly, King's Cross and Finsbury Park, and the London United Tramways Company.
The Great Northern, Piccadilly & Brompton line, from Finsbury Park to Hammersmith, was opened early in 1907, and the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead line later in the same year.
Others are the Waterloo & City (1898) running from the terminus of the South-Western railway without intermediate stations to the Bank; the Central London (1900), from the Bank to Shepherd's Bush, Hammersmith; and the Great Northern & City (1904) from Finsbury Park (which is an important suburban junction on the Great Northern railway) to Moorgate Street.
German residents are found mainly in the western and west central districts; French mainly in the City of Westminster (especially the district of Soho), St Pancras and St Marylebone; Italians in Holborn (Saffron Hill), Soho and Finsbury; and Russians and Poles in Stepney and Bethnal Green.
A comparison of the death-rate of London and those of other great towns in England and abroad is given here: - In 1905 the lowest death-rates among the metropolitan boroughs were returned by Hampstead (9.3), Lewisham (11.7), Wandsworth (12.6), Woolwich (12.8), Stoke Newington (12.9), and the highest by Shoreditch (19.7), Finsbury (19.0), Bermondsey (18.7), Bethnal Green (18.6) and Southwark (18.5).
A return of the percentage of inhabitants dwelling in over-crowded tenements shows 2.7 for Lewisham, 4.5 for Wandsworth, 5.5 for Stoke Newington, and 6.4 for Hampstead, against 35.2 for Finsbury and 29.9 for Shoreditch.
Thus Charterhouse school, part of the foundation of Sir Thomas Sutton (1611), was moved from Finsbury to Godalming, Surrey; St Paul's School occupies modern buildings at Hammersmith, and Christ's Hospital is at Horsham, Sussex.
There are a few other bodies controlling particular open spaces, as the following list of public grounds exceeding 50 acres (in 1910) will show: Brockwell Park, Herne Hill 1274 acres Clapham Common 205 Clissold Park 541 Dulwich Park 72 Finsbury Park 115 Hackney Marsh 339 Hainault Forest, Essex.
Quarter-sessions for the county of London are held thirty-six times annually, for the north side of the Thames at the Sessions-house in Clerkenwell (Finsbury) and for the south side at that in Newington Causeway, Southwark.
(3) Finsbury (detached portion in Middlesex, Muswell Hill) - Divs.: Holborn, Central, Eastern.
Adjoining Moorfields were Finsbury Fields, a favourite practising ground for the archers.
Finsbury Square was the first public place in which gas lighting was actually adopted, and Grosvenor Square the last.
On its western boundary, adjoining Green Lanes, lies Clissold Park (54 acres) and outside the north-western boundary is Finsbury Park (115 acres).
By Shoreditch and Finsbury, and W.
Finsbury Park, of 120 acres, and other smaller public grounds, are within the borough.
By that time he had removed to London, becoming professor of Physics in the City and Guilds of London Technical College, Finsbury, in 1885 and subsequently its principal.
FINSBURY, a central metropolitan borough of London, England, bounded N.
The municipal borough coincides with the east and central divisions of the parliamentary borough of Finsbury, each returning one member.
On his return to London six years later he became professor of applied physics at the Finsbury College of the City and Guilds of London Technical Institute, and in 1884 he was chosen professor of electrical engineering at the Central Technical College, South Kensington.
And C. Wesley; Wesley's Veterans; Lives of Early Methodist Preachers (Finsbury Library).