He drew simple diagrams, three of which, taken from Dalton's New System of Chemical Philosophy, part ii.
The form of the torque curve, or crank effort curve, as it is sometimes called, is discussed in the article Steam Engine, and the torque curve corresponding to actual indicator diagrams taken from an express passenger engine travelling at a speed of 65 m.
In water and in ethylene experiment shows that 8 parts by weight of oxygen and 6 parts of carbon, respectively, are in union with one part of hydrogen; also, if the diagrams are correct, these numbers must be in the ratio of the atomic weights of oxygen and carbon.
- Diagrams to show the structure of Nematocysts and their mode of working.
- Diagrams of the Structure of the Gonophores of various Hydromedusae, based on the figures of G.
- Diagrams of Medusa budding with the formation of an entocodon.
- Diagrams to show the mode of formation of an Acrocyst and a Marsupium.
- Diagrams illustrating the successive stages in the development of the cyclosystems of the Stylasteridae.
- Diagrams explanatory of the nature of so-called proboscides or " introverts."
In an Italian translation of Euclid's Optica, with commentary, Egnacio Danti (1573), after discussing the effects of plane, convex and concave reflectors, fully describes the method of showing reversed images passing through an aperture in a darkened room, and shows how, by placing a mirror behind the aperture, unreversed images might be obtained, both effects being illustrated by diagrams. F.
The complete figures obtained by drawing first the force-diagrams of a system of forces in equilibrium with two distinct poles 0, 0, and secondly the corresponding funiculars, have various interesting relations.
The geometrical diagrams were particularly vexing because I could not see the relation of the different parts to one another, even on the cushion.
To see how this law follows from Dalton's theory let us consider his diagrams for the molecules of water, ethylene and the oxides of carbon.
Dingley, Touchers and Rubs (Glasgow, 1893); Sam Aylwin, The Gentle Art of Bowling, with 26 diagrams (London, 1904); James A.
Praetor ius's Cammerton, or chamber pitch, formulated in his diagrams for voices and instruments, is, he says, a whole tone higher; equivalent, therefore, to a' 475.65.
The apparatus is exceedingly complicated and can only be understood by reference to very detailed diagrams.
- Diagrams of the monopodial method of budding, shown in five stages (1-5).
- Diagrams to show the significance of the Entocodon in Medusa-buds.
- Diagrams to show the mode of formation of the Hydrotheca and Gonotheca in Calyptoblastic Hydroids.
The American engineer is more fortunately situated than his English brother with regard to the possibility of a solution, as will be seen from the comparative diagrams of construction gauges, figs.
- Diagrams of various Earth of several Geoscolicidae, the nephridiopores indicate the segments; to each segment corresponds internally a chamber of the coelom which is separated from adjacent segments by transverse septa,which are only unrecognizable in the genus Aeolosoma and in the head region of other Oligochaeta.
In the hinder part of the foot (not shown in any of the diagrams) is the opening of a large mucusforming gland very often found in the Molluscan foot.
Their enunciation must therefore be given in Swainson's own words, though it must be admitted that space cannot be found here for the diagrams, which it was alleged were necessary for the right understanding of the theory.
- Diagrams of the organs of a Nemertine.
- Diagrams of the five classes of Mollusca, from the left side.
The following diagrams illustrate these statements: - C ` H C OH HC /CH HC CH HC,/CH 'N/ HC CH CH CH From the benzene nucleus we can derive other aromatic nuclei, graphically represented by fusing two or more hexagons along common sides.
--Diagrams of the meta-sternite st, who showed that with genital operculum op, and the first lamellithe statements of gerous pair of appendages ga, with uniting von Graber were sternal element st of Scorpio (left) and Limulus erroneous, and (right).
- Diagrams of the development and adult structure of one of the paired central eyes of a scorpion.
Upper figures: diagrams of skull with fangs at rest.
It is evident that any other property can be represented by similar diagrams. For example, we can construct the curve of conductivity of alloys of two metals or the surface of conductivity of ternary alloys, and so on for any measurable property.
In subsequent diagrams the two reaction lines will, for the sake of clearness, be drawn as if slightly inclined to the vertical.
(This result is from a larger number than other students have used, and study by diagrams.) The theory (3) of the derivation of the uten from 1/1500 cubic cubit of water would fix it at 1472, which is accordant; but there seems no authority either in volumes or weights for taking 1500 utens.
- Diagrams of the external form and anatomy of Anodonta cygnea, the Pond-Mussel; in figures I, 3, 4, 5, 6 the animal is seen from the left side, the centro-dorsal region uppermost.
- Diagrams of Transverse Sections of a Lamellibranch to show the Adhesion, by Concrescence, of the Gill-Lamellae to the Mantle-flaps, to the foot and to one another.
- Diagrams showing the Relations of Pericardium and Nephridia in a Lamellibranch such as Anodonta.
He also used diagrams, which are sometimes incorporated in his works, but sometimes are only mentioned, and were no doubt used for purposes of teaching.
Details and diagrams will be found in Viollet-le-Duc's Dictionnaire de l'architecture.
The phenomena of equilibrium can be represented on diagrams. Thus, if we take our co-ordinates to represent pressure and temperature, the state of the systems p with ice, water and vapour in equilibrium is represented by the point 0 where the pressure is that of the vapour of water at the freezing point and the temperature is the freezing point under that pressure.
For the quantitative study of such systems in detail it is convenient to draw plane diagrams which are theoretically projections of the curves of the solid phase rule diagram on one or other of these planes.
The theoretical form of the freezing point diagrams when solid solutions are present depends on the relation between the available energy and the composition in the two phases.
With the most likely forms for the energy curves we get the accompanying diagrams for the relation between freezing point and concentration.
Soc. of London, 1907,1907, p. 12) has given a full account of the subject, with diagrams of the modified feathers.
- Diagrams of the excretory and reproductive organs of Amphineura (after Hubrecht).
- Diagrams of the nervous system of Amphineura.
In short, there are two distinct carbon-iron diagrams, the iron-cementite one shown in fig.
These two diagrams naturally have much the same general shape, but though the boundaries of the several regions in the iron-cementite diagram are known pretty accurately, and though the relative positions of the boundaries of the two diagrams are probably about as here shown, the exact topography of the iron-graphite diagram is not yet known.
Among Johnson's associates at this time may be mentioned Boyse, who, when his shirts were pledged, scrawled Latin verses sitting up in bed with his arms through two holes in his blanket, who composed very respectable sacred poetry when he was sober, and who was at last run over by a hackney coach when he was drunk; Hoole, surnamed the metaphysical tailor, who, instead of attending to his measures, used to trace geometrical diagrams on the board where he sat cross-legged; and the penitent impostor, George Psalmanazar, who, after poring all day, in a humble lodging, on the folios of Jewish rabbis and Christian fathers, indulged himself at night with literary and theological conversation at an alehouse in the City.
The next class of instruments to be considered are seismometers or earthquake measurers, and seismographs or instruments which Se give diagrams of earthquake motion.
Although by compounding corresponding portions of the diagrams given by instruments of this type, it is possible to determine the range and direction of the movement of which they are the resolved parts, their chief value is that they enable us to measure with ease the extent of any vibration, half of which is called its amplitude, and the time taken to make any complete back-and-forth movement, or its period.
Vicentini of Padua, will yield excellent diagrams of the gentle undulations of earthquakes which have originated at great distances, but for local disturbances, even if the bob of the pendulum acts as a steady point, the highly multiplied displacements are usually too great to be recorded.
We are clearly in the field of the diagrams of the text-books, and much of the phraseology is based upon an original graphic representation in extension.
The two diagrams being supposed constructed, it is seen that each of the given systems of forces can be replaced by two components acting in the sides of the funicular which meet at the corresponding vertex, and that the magnitudes of these components will be given by the corresponding triangle of forces in the force-diagram; thus the force 1 in the figure is equivalent to two forces represented by 01 and 12.
27) he any side of the force-polygon, and construct the corresponding portions of the two diagrams, first with 0 and then with 0 as pole.
- Diagrams of the alimentary canal of Amphineura (from Hubrecht).