GEORGE PEACOCK (1791-1858), English mathematician, was born at Thornton Hall, Denton, near Darlington, on the 9th of April 1791.
"SIR SAMUEL HUGHES (18J3-1921), Canadian soldier and politician, was born at Darlington, Ont., Jan.
As used by George Stephenson on the Stockton & Darlington and Whitstable & Canterbury lines they weighed 28 lb per yard.
On the Stockton & Darlington railway, which was authorized by parliament in 1821, animal power was at first proposed, but on the advice of Stephenson, its engineer, steam-engines were adopted.
The principal business of the new railway was the conveyance of minerals and goods, but from the first passengers insisted upon being carried, and on the 10th of October 1825 the company began to run a daily coach, called the " Experiment," to carry six inside, and from fifteen to twenty outside, making the journey from Darlington to Stockton and back in two hours.
The price of coals at Darlington fell from 18s.
The example of the Stockton & Darlington line was followed by the Monklands railway in Scotland, opened in 1826, and several other small lines - including the Canterbury & Whitstable, worked partly by fixed engines and partly by locomotives - quickly adopted steam traction.
After a while he took a leading part in local affairs, and was for some years a member of the Newcastle city council, and Darlington borough council.
He was the second son of Emmanuel Scrope Howe, 2nd Viscount Howe, who died governor of Barbadoes in March 1735, and of Mary Sophia Charlotte, a daughter of the baroness Kilmansegge, afterwards countess of Darlington, the mistress of George I.
In 1895, at Darlington, the competitions were confined to hay-making machines and clover-making machines.
Humphrey, of Darlington, and their golden wedding was celebrated in 1906.
The suburbs comprise the following distinct municipalities, Alexandria, with a population in 1901 of 9341; Annandale, 8 349; Ashfield, 14,329; Balmain, 30,076; Bexley, 3079; Botany, 33 8 3; North Botany, 3772; Burwood, 7521; Camperdown, 7931 Canterbury, 4226; Concord, 2818;2818; Darlington, 3784; Drummoyne, 4244; Enfield, 2 4 97;97; Erskineville, 6059; Glebe, 19,220;, Hunter's Hill, 4232; Hurstville, 4019; Kogarah, 3892; Lane Cove, 1918; Leichhardt, 17,454; Manly, 5035; Marrickville, 18, 775; Eastwood, 713; Mosman, 5691; Newtown, 22,598;22,598; North Sydney, 22,040; Paddington, 21,984; Petersham, 15,307; Randwick, 9753; Redfern, 24,2,9; Rockdale, 7857; Ryde, 3222; St Peter's, 5906; Vaucluse, 1152; Waterloo, 9609;9609; Waverley, 12,342; Willoughby, 6004; Woollahra, 12,351.
On his return he assisted his father in surveying the Stockton & Darlington and Liverpool && Manchester lines, but in 1824 he accepted an engagement in South America to take charge of the engineering operations of the Colombian Mining Association of London.
The normal average annual temperature for the entire state is between 53° and 54° F., ranging from 48° at Grantsville in the north-west to 53° at Darlington in the north-east, and to 57° at Princess Anne in the south-east.
DARLINGTON, a market town and municipal and parliamentary borough of Durham, England, 232 m.
The industries of Darlington are large and varied.
Not long after the bishop and monks of Lindisfarne had settled at Durham in 995, Styr the son of Ulf gave them the vill of Darlington (Dearthington, Darnington), which by 1083 had grown into importance, probably owing to its situation on the road from Watling Street to the mouth of the Tees.
Boldon Book, dated 1183, contains the first mention of Darlington as a borough, rated at 5, while half a mark was due from the dyers of cloth.
Darlington possesses no early charter, but claimed its privileges as a borough by a prescriptive right.
Before the igth century Darlington was noted for the manufacture of linen, worsted and flax, but it owes its modern importance to the opening of the railway between Darlington and Stockton on the 27th of September 1825.
As part of the palatinate of Durham, Darlington sent no members to parliament until 1862, when it was allowed to return one member.
The fairs and markets in Darlington were formerly held by the bishop and were in existence as early as the 1 ith century.
In 1830 the Stockton & Darlington railway was extended to Middlesbrough; four years later the town was lighted with gas; and after six years more a public market was established.
Of Darlington by a branch of the North Eastern railway.
From Darlington by a branch of the North Eastern railway.
Main line - Leeds, Normanton and York to Darlington, Durham, Newcastle and Berwick-on-Tweed.
The first line of railway for regular passenger service, that from Stockton to Darlington, 14 m.
Darlington, " Some Dialectal Boundaries in MidWales," in Trans.
According to Leland, Darlington was in his time the best market town in the bishopric with the exception of Durham.