They occupy the country west of the White Nile between the Shilluk territory and Dar Nuba, being found principally in Kordofan.
From it again there shoot away at right angles, one on each side, the ranges of the Dar-alagoz and Bergushet.
DAR-ES-SALAAM (" The harbour of peace"), a seaport of East Africa, in 6° 50' S.
Until the German occupation nothing but an insignificant village existed at Dar-es-Salaam.
In 1876 Mr (afterwards Sir) William McKinnon began the construction of a road from Dar-es-Salaam to Victoria Nyanza, intending to make of Dar-es-Salaam an important seaport.
Dar-es-Salaam was laid out by the Germans on an ambitious scale in the expectation that it would prove an important centre of commerce, but trade developed very slowly.
Von Oppenheim, Vom Mittelmeer zum persischen Golfe, &c. (2 vols., Berlin, 18 991900); Lord Warkworth, Notes from a Diary in Asiatic Turkey (London, 1898); Mark Sykes, Dar-el-Islam (London, 1903); D.
Reinforced by intermittent streams from the hills of Darfur and by considerable rivers flowing north from Dar Fertit, this river after reaching as far north as about io° 30' pursues a general south-easterly direction until it joins the Ghazal 87 m.
It rises, as the Boro or Telgona, in Dar Fertit, and receives from the south and south-west the Raga, Sopo, Chel and Bongo.
Considerable energy was shown in railway construction and by the end of 1918 there were combined railway and steamer routes from the mouth of the Congo to Dar es Salaam and Cape Town.
Here the traveller ascending from the coast sees the first example of the jebel or highland towns, with their high three-storeyed houses, built of quarried stone, their narrow façades pierced with small windows with whitewashed borders and ornamented with varied arabesque patterns; each dar has the appearance of a small castle complete in itself, and the general effect is rather that of a cluster of separate forts than of a town occupied by a united community.
Deja near Meroe, on the northern frontier of the Arab district of Dar Shagia.
The greater part of the trade with Tanganyika is done by the African Lakes Corporation by the Shire-Nyasa route, but the Germans have opened up overland routes from Dar-es-Salaam.
Respectively, the average rainfall in Angola 36 in., in Dar-es-Salaam 60 in.
The seaports of the colony are Tanga (pop. about 6000), Bagamoyo 5000 (with surrounding district some 18,000), Dar-es-Salaam 24,000, Kilwa 5000, (these have separate notices), Pangani, Sadani, Lindi and Mikindani.
Due west of Dar-es-Salaam, and is the first important station on the road to Tanganyika.
Caravans from Dar-es-Salaam to Tanganyika take 60 days to do the journey.
The building of a trunk line from Dar-es-Salaam to Mrogoro (140 m.), and ultimately to Ujiji by way of Tabora, was begun in 1905.
The German East Africa Line of Hamburg runs a fleet of first-class steamers to East Africa, which touch at Tanga, Dar-es-Salaam and Zanzibar.
There is a submarine cable from Dar-es-Salaam to Zanzibar, and an overland line connecting all the coast stations.
Each station has a chief, who is subordinate to the official of his district, these in their turn being under the governor, who resides in Dar-es-Salaam.
The word is of Arabic origin, being a corruption of daras-sina`ah, house of trade or manufacture, dar, house, al, the, and sina`ah, trade, manufacture, sana`a, to make.
That to the right, the Rue de la Kasbah, opens into a small square (Suk-el-Islam or Place de ]a Kasbah), on the left of which is the Dar-el-Bey (palace of the bey), while beyond it rise the walls of the citadel.
The Dar-el-Bey contains numerous rooms beautifully decorated in the Moorish style of the 18th century; and the judgment hall has a domed roof adorned with the delicate arabesque plaster-work known as Nuksh hadida.
By r5 m., and contains the ruins of Nineveh at Kuyunjik and Nebi Yunus, of Dar Sargon at Khorsabad to the N.E.
Built his city of Dar-Sargon there.
CASABLANCA (Dar el Baida, " the white house"), a seaport on the Atlantic coast of Morocco, in 33° 27' N., 7° 46' W.
59) with a bas-relief and an inscription of the governor of Dar, MushezibShamash.
'ENFIDAVILLE' [Dar-el-], a town of Tunisia, on the railway between Tunis and Susa, 30 m.
In the south are flat, fertile and thickly wooded plains, which give place to jungle at the foot of the hills of Dar Nuba, the district forming the southeast part of Kordofan.
Although at Edessa itself no cuneiform documents have yet been found, a little more than four hours journey eastwards, at Anaz (= Gullab?) = Dar of Tiglath-pileser IV.
Beyond the Nile westward extend vast plains, which in Kordofan and Dar Nuba (between 10° and 15° N.) are broken by hills reaching 2000 ft.
Certain forms of the conjugation of the verb differ from the Castilian: dar, esiar, haver, saber, poner readily form their imperfects and imperfect subjunctives like the regular verbs in ar and erhavieron (Cast.
ABERDARE, a market town of Glamorganshire, Wales, situated (as the name implies) at the confluence of the Dar and Cynon, the latter being a tributary of the Taff.
The town still bears the title Dar es Salteneh, "the seat of government."
To the north of the Ka`ba was the Dar el-Nadwa, or place of assembly of the Koreish.
The Sarbadarids (so called from their motto Sar-ba-dar, Head to the Gibbet), descendants of Abd al-Razzak, who rebelled in Khorasan about 1337, enjoyed some measure of independence under twelve rulers till they also were destroyed by Timur (c. 1380).
1 It was known there as carr-swallow, carr-crow (corrupted into " scarecrow "), and blue dar (qu.
Sykes, Dar ul-Islam (1904); E.
The methods of binding the pagri are innumerable, each method having a distinctive name as arabi (Arab fashion); mansabi (official fashion, much used in the Deccan); mushakhi (sheik fashion); chakridar (worn by hadjis, that is those who have made the pilgrimage to Mecca); khirki-dar (a fashion of piling the cloth high, adopted by retainers of great men); latudar (top-shaped, worn by kayasths or writers); joridar (the cloth twisted into rope shape) (Plate I.
Some authorities, however, hold that it commemorates the red flare of the torches by whose light the work of construction was carried on nightly for many years; others associate it with the name of the founder, Mahomet Ibn Al Ahmar; and others derive it from the Arabic Dar al Amra, " House of the Master."