Clermont has several handsome squares ornamented with fountains, the chief of which is a graceful structure erected by Bishop Jacques d'Amboise in 1515.
The first mention of his name occurs in the accounts of the church of St Maclou at Rouen in the year 1540, and in the following year he was employed at the cathedral of the same town, where he added to the tomb of Cardinal d'Amboise a statue of his nephew Georges, afterwards removed, and possibly carved portions of the tomb of Louis de Breze, executed some time after 1 545.
See also with reference to this text Louis Halphen, Etude sur les chroniques des comtes d'Anjou et des seigneurs d'Amboise (Paris, 1906).
His father, Pierre d'Amboise, seigneur de Chaumont, was chamberlain to Charles VII.
His eldest brother, Charles d'Amboise, was governor of the Isle of France, Champagne and Burgundy, and councillor of Louis XI.
Georges d'Amboise was only fourteen when his father procured for him the bishopric of Montauban, and Louis XI.
On arriving at manhood d'Amboise attached himself to the party of the duke of Orleans, in whose cause he suffered imprisonment, and on whose return to the royal favour he was elevated to the archbishopric of Narbonne, which after some time he changed for that of Rouen (1493).
On the appointment of the duke of Orleans as governor of Normandy, d'Amboise became his lieutenant-general.
In 1498 the duke of Orleans mounted the throne as Louis XII., and d'Amboise was suddenly raised to the high position of cardinal and prime minister.
D'Amboise received in compensation the title of legate for life in France and in the Comtat Venaissin.
Et du cardinal d'Amboise (Brussels, 1712); L.
Legendre, Vie du cardinal d'Amboise (Rouen, 1726); E.