NANTWICH, a market town in the Crewe parliamentary division of Cheshire, England, 161 m.
The first true compound locomotive in England was constructed at Crewe works in 1878 by F.
SANDBACH, a market town in the Crewe parliamentary division of Cheshire, England, 5 m.
Of Crewe, on the London & North-Western and North Staffordshire railways.
He remained in the post, under Lord Crewe as Lord Morley's successor, till 1914; and so made his first official acquaintance with India under the influence of Lord Morley's reforms and Lord Crewe's Durbar changes of 1911.
- Russell, Arbitration (London, 1906); Annual Practice (London, yearly); Redman, Arbitration (London, 1897) Crewe, Arbitration Act of 1889 (London, 1898); Pollock, On Arbitrators (London, 1906).
CREWE, a municipal borough in the Crewe parliamentary division of Cheshire, England, 158 m.
Oak Farm in the parish of Monk's Coppenhall, and takes its name from the original stations having been placed in the township of Crewe, in which the seat of Lord Crewe is situated.
Crewe is not only one of the busiest railway stations in the world, but is the locomotive metropolis of the London & North-Western company, which has centred here enormous workshops for the manufacture of the material and plant used in railways.
Its enormous railway facilities and its geographical situation as the junction of the great trunk lines running north and south, tapping also the Staffordshire potteries on the one side and the great mineral districts of Wales on the other, constitute Crewe station one of the most important links of railway and postal communication in the kingdom.
The new appointments were: Lord Tweedmouth as lord president of the council (instead of the admiralty); Lord Crewe as colonial secretary (instead of lord president of the council); Mr D.
Of such the gates for Sandringham, by Jeckyll; for Crewe Hall, by Charles Barry; and for the Victoria and Albert Museum, by Gamble, are the earliest and best known.
The Wellington-Crewe line of the Great Western railway is here joined by a branch into Staffordshire of the North Staffordshire railway.
The great junction of Crewe, where railways from south-east, south-west, east, west and north converge, is thus explained.
Main line - Rugby, Crewe, Warrington, Preston, Carlisle; forming, with the Caledonian system, the " West Coast " route to Scotland.
Crewe and the Potteries, Macclesfield, &c., to Uttoxeter and Derby.
For example, by this means the London & North Western and the Great Western companies have created large towns in Crewe and Swindon respectively.
Crewe, 1910, 79, L.J., p. 802).
Crewe (1910, 7 9, L.
Crewe (1910) 79, L.J.