From Crefeld, and at the junction of lines to Munchen-Gladbach, Venlo, &c. Pop. (1905) 27,577.
Of Dusseldorf, on the main line of railway to Aix-la-Chapelle, and at the junction of lines to Crefeld and Stolberg.
See Nettesheim, Geschichte der Stadt and des Amtes Geldern (Crefeld, 1863); Henrichs, Beitrage zur innern Geschichte der Stadt Geldern (Geldern, 1893); and Real, Chronik der Stadt and Umgegend von Geldern (Geldern, 1897).
The principal seat of the trade in that country is at Crefeld, nearly one-half of the production of the empire being manufactured there.
The cloth of Aix-la-Chapelle and the silk of Crefeld form important articles of export.
Of Crefeld and 17 N.W.
Crefeld Prussia 110,347
The main centre of the silk industry is Crefeld and its neighborhood; then come Elberfeld and Barmen, Aix-la-Chapelle, as well as Berlin, Bielefeld, Chemnitz, Stuttgart and the district around Mulhausen in Alsace.
From this time the French were kept well employed in the west by Prince Ferdinand of Brunswick, who defeated them at Crefeld in 1758, and at Minden in 1759.
CREFELD, or Krefeld, a town of Germany, in the Prussian Rhine province, on the left side of and 3 m.
This feature, rare in German towns, is due to the fact that Crefeld was always an "open place," and that therefore the circular form of a fortress town could be dispensed with.
Crefeld is the most important seat of the silk and velvet manufactures in Germany, and in this industry the larger part of the population of town and neighbourhood is employed.
Crefeld is an important railway centre, and has direct communication with Cologne, Rheydt, Munchen-Gladbach and Holland (via Zevenaar).
Crefeld is first mentioned in records of the 12th century.
Having studied theology at Lingen and Halle, he became successively rector of the grammar school at Mors (1793), professor of theology at Duisburg (1800), preacher at Crefeld, and afterwards at Kettwig, Consistorialrath and superintendent in Bernburg, and, after declining an invitation to the university of Bonn, pastor of the Ansgariuskirche in Bremen (1824).