Of Covington and near the N.W.
NEWPORT, a city of Campbell county, Kentucky, U.S.A., on the Ohio River opposite Cincinnati, Ohio, and at the mouth of the Licking River opposite Covington, Ky.
It is served by the Louisville & Nashville, and the Chesapeake & Ohio railways, and by electric lines to Covington, Cincinnati, Bellevue, Fort Thomas and Dayton.
With Cincinnati and Covington it is connected by bridges.
Amongst remarkable American girder bridges may be mentioned the Ohio bridge on the Cincinnati & Covington railway, which is probably the largest girder span constructed.
Of the river, and it is upon this southern half that Covington, Newport, Dayton, Ludlow and other Kentucky suburbs of Cincinnati are situated.
Since 1867 it has been connected with Covington by a wire suspension bridge designed by John A.
By two bridges there is direct communication with Newport; by one, that of the Cincinnati Southern railway, with Ludlow; and by one with West Covington.(Chesapeake & Ohio; see vol.
And the Present State of the Country (2 vols., Frankfort, 1812, 1824), extremely Federalistic in tone; Mann Butler, History of Kentucky from its Exploration and Settlement by the Whites to the close of the Southwestern Campaign of 1813 (Louisville, 1834; 2nd ed., Cincinnati, 1836), and Lewis Collins, The History of Kentucky (2 vols., revised edition, Covington, Ky., 1874), a valuable store-house of facts, the basis of Shaler's work.
The dean of faculty at this time, Lockhart, afterwards Lord Covington, a lawyer notorious for his harsh demeanour, in the autumn of 1757 assailed Wedderburn with more than ordinary insolence.
He graduated at Indiana Asbury (now De Pauw) University, Greencastle, Indiana, in 1849; was admitted to the bar in 1850, and began to practise in Covington, Indiana, whence in 1857 he removed to Terre Haute.