Its source is generally held to be at a place known as Thames Head, in the parish of Coates, 3 m.
The most imposing structure belonging to the Scottish Episcopal Church is St Mary's cathedral, built on ground and chiefly from funds left by the Misses Walker of Coates, and opened for worship in 1879.
The old-fashioned mansion of East Coates, dating from the 17th century, still stands in the close, and is occupied by functionaries of the cathedral.
F.Coates, The Life Story of General Booth (2nd ed., London.
Coates, The Life Story of General Booth (2nd ed., 1906); Harold Begbie, Broken Earthenware (1909); various reports and accounts; The War Cry, The Social Gazette, The Salvation Army Year Book, &c. Criticism; Thomas H.
Coates (London, 1886).