CLOYNE, a small market town of Co.
Cloyne was the seat of a Protestant diocese until 1835, when it was united to that of Cork.
The Pipe Roll of Cloyne, compiled by Bishop Swaffham in 1364, is a remarkable record embracing a full account of the feudal tenures of the see, the nature of the impositions, and the duties the purl homines Sancti Colmani were bound to perform at a very early period.
1658-1718, bishop successively of Cloyne, Clogher and Derry).
Robert Alfred Cloyne Godwin-Austen >>
1881), and its erection was due to the indefatigable exertions and munificence of Dr John Gregg, bishop of Cork, Cloyne and Ross; while the tower and spires were the gift of two merchants of Cork.