PADIHAM, an urban district in the Clitheroe parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, 3 m.
NELSON, a municipal borough in the Clitheroe parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, 32 m.
In 1830 Cobden learnt that Messrs Fort, calico printers at Sabden, near Clitheroe, were about to retire from business, and he, with two other young men, Messrs Sheriff and Gillet, who were engaged in the same commercial house as himself, determined to make an effort to acquire the succession.
It was a member of the Honour of Clitheroe and a fee of the royal manor of Tottington, which soon after the Conquest was held by the Lacys.
CLITHEROE, a market town and municipal borough in the Clitheroe parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, 220 m.
Of Clitheroe, is the principal establishment in England for Roman Catholic students.
The Honour of Clitheroe, the name of which is also written Clyderhow and Cletherwoode, was first held by Roger de Poictou, who was almost certainly the builder of the castle, which was dismantled in 1649.
The Clitheroe Estate Company are the present lords of the Honour.
A year at the Ackworth school, two years at a school at York, and a year and a half at Newton, near Clitheroe, completed his education.