It should be noted that their traditional names, with the exception of that of Zeus and that of Asclepius, have no foundation in fact, while the attribution of the temple in antis, into the cella of which the church of S.
The cella of the temple of Heracles underwent considerable modifications in Roman times, and the discovery in it of a statue of Asclepius seems to show that the cult of this deity superseded the original one.
To the south-west of the Forum are the remains of three small temples, one dedicated to Venus, and a well-preserved Mithraeum, with mosaics representing the seven planets, &c. To the south-west again is the conspicuous brick cella of a lofty temple, on arched substructures, generally supposed to be that of Vulcan, with a threshold block of africano (Euboean) marble over 15 ft.
The plan of the temple is chiefly remarkable for the unsymmetrically placed door leading from the back of the cella into the opisthodomus.
In all the large temples the cella is divided into two parts, the smaller and inner of which (the adytum) was intended for the cult image.
Of the river Selinus, lie the ruins of a temple of Demeter, with a propylon leading to the sacred enclosure: the temple itself has a cella with a narrow door and without columns.
The plan is a curious one: despite the comparative narrowness of the cella, it had two rows of ten columns in it, in line with the front angles of the inner shrine.
Matthew edited anew the works of Abbot John de Cella and Roger of Wendover, which in their altered form constitute the first part of his most important work, the Chronica majora.
- The relation of Matthew Paris's work to those of John de Cella and Roger of Wendover may best be studied in H.
The name was subsequently applied to the cella, or eastern chamber, of the Parthenon, which is exactly ioo ft.
The temple consisted of an eastern cella with pronaos; behind this was the opisthodomos, divided into three chambers - possibly treasuries - with a portico at the western end.
As in the Parthenon, there is a sculptured zophoros above the exterior of the cella walls; this, however, extends over the east and west fronts only and the east ends of the sides; the eastern zophoros represents a battle-scene with seated deities on either hand, the western a centauromachia.
The temple is entirely of Pentelic marble, except the foundations and lowest step of the stylobate, which are of Peiraic stone, and the zophoros of the cella, which is in Parian marble.
Their funerals were as much under the protection of the law, which not only invested the tomb itself with a sacred character, but included in its protection the area in which it stood, and the cella memoriae or chapel connected with it, as those of their heathen fellow-citizens, while the same shield would be thrown over the burial-clubs, which, as we learn from Tertullian 2 Cicero is our authority for the burial of Marius, and for Sulla's being the first member of the Gens Cornelia whose dead body was burnt (De Legg.
Those in the middle are thin, having only the pavement of the cella to support, and are provided with doors and partitions that make a sort of subterranean labyrinth.
The reliefs of the frieze of the cella of the Parthenon enable us to form an idea of the procession.
On the terrace, as was ascertained in 1894, stood a Corinthian temple of the early imperial period, iio by 65 ft.; the cella was decorated internally with engaged half-columns, and contained the pedestal for the statue of the deity, according to some authorities Venus, but more probably Jupiter Anxur worshipped as a child - a theory confirmed by the discovery of many curious leaden toys, like those made for dolls' houses at the present day, in the favissae on the E.
The columns and the architraves upon them are well preserved, but there is nothing above the frieze existing, and the cella wall has entirely disappeared.
Next in point of date comes the so-called temple of Ceres, a hexastyle peripteros, which may be dated after 540 B.C. The columns are all standing, and the west and part of the east pediment are still in situ; but of the cella, again, nothing is 1 The dating adopted in the present article, which is in absolute contradiction to that given in the previous edition of this work, is that given by R.
The cella, the outer walls of which have to a great extent disappeared, has two internal rows of seven columns 43 ft.
In diameter, upon which rests a simple epistyle, supporting a row of smaller columns, so that the interior of the cella was in two storeys.
It was a peripteral hexastyle, and must have had at least nineteen columns at the sides; the portion excavated shows that its total width is 744 ft., the width of the cella 382 ft., the lower diameter of the columns 64 ft.
Della Cella, Cortona Antica (Cortona, 1900).
SACRARIUM, the term in classic architecture given to the cella of a temple, and to the apartment in a dwelling-house which was sacred to a deity.
Two leagues north-north-east of Albarracin is the remarkable fountain called Cella, 3 700 ft.
High, belong to a facade of four still higher columns erected in 'front of the absidal cella or sanctuary, with three niches for statues - no doubt of the protecting deities.
High with double frieze, connected with the cella walls by a coffered ceiling, which contained slabs with heads of gods and emperors.
Richard Burton, when consul-general at Damascus in 1870, cleared an Arab screen out of the vestibule, and in consequence the exquisite doorway leading into the cella can now be well seen.
The cella, now ruinous, had inner wall-reliefs and engaged columns, which supported rich entablatures.
Is a small temple of the late imperial age, consisting of a semicircular cella with a peristyle of eight Corinthian columns, supporting a projecting entablature.
The cella is decorated without with a frieze, and within with pillars and arcading.
Bruce, Travels (1790); P. della Cella, Viaggio da Tripoli, &c. (1819); G.
Mark, just outside the modern town, is built into the cella of an ancient Greek temple, which measures 62 ft.
- Two small square temples, of a common westernprovincial type, were in the east of the town; the cella of the larger measured 42 ft.
With regard to the plan and design of a Phoenician temple, it is probable that they were in many respects similar to those of the temple at Jerusalem, and the probability is confirmed by the remains of a sanctuary near Amrit, in which there is a cella standing in the midst of a large court hewn out of the rock, together with other buildings in an Egyptian style.
The cella had a prodomos on the east and an opisthodomos on the west.
When Pausanias saw it, one of the two columns of the opisthodomos (at the west end of the cella) was of wood; and for a long period all the columns of this temple had probably been of the same material.
Only the lower part of the cella wall was of stone, the rest being of unbaked brick; the entablature above the columns was of wood covered with terracotta.
The cella - divided, like that of Zeus, into three partitions by a double row of columns - had four " tongue-walls," or small screens, projecting at right angles from its north wall, and as many from the south wall.
In the third niche from the east, on the north side of the cella, was found one of the greatest of all the treasures which rewarded the German explorers - the Hermes of Praxiteles (1878).
Here also the cella had prodomos and opisthodomos.
The building consisted of a circular Ionic colonnade (of eighteen columns), about 15 metres in diameter, raised on three steps and enclosing a small circular cella, probably adorned with fourteen Corinthian half-columns.
The so-called Gasterolichens, Trichocoma and Emeri- cella, have been shown to be merely ascomycetous fungi.
Remains of the walls of the lower town, of the cella of a temple built of blocks of peperino, and also of later buildings in brickwork and opus reticulatum, connected with the post-station (Aricia being the first important station out of Rome, cf.
The subjects of its nine chapters are - (I) the Corinthian, Ionic and Doric orders; (2) the ornaments of capitals, ac.; (3) the Doric order; (4) proportions of the cella and pronaos; (5) sites of temples; (6) doorways of temples and their architraves; (7) the Etruscan or Tuscan order of temples; (8) circular temples; (9) altars.
At Luxor the entire cella was rebuilt by Alexander.
Towards the eastern end of this terrace are the scanty remains of a building which can hardly be anything but the temple of Zeus; it appears to have consisted of pronaos, naos or cella, and opisthodomus, and some of the lower drums of the internal columns of the cella were still resting on their foundations.
Wall of the cella of which is alone preserved.
3, at a level higher by about a metre, and the area of its cella alone contains the whole of the earlier shrines.
About half its pavement, parts of the cella walls and of three columns of the peristyle, and the foundations of nearly all the platform, are still in position.
Maria della Cella is noteworthy among the former as having one of the earliest campanili of any size in Italy (9th century).
The building was, however, not completed; the cella was never built, and the columns, not having been fluted, have a heavy appearance.