In 1901 the population of the town and cantonment was 7764.
Bellary is an important cantonment and the headquarters of a military division.
In this neighbourhood is concentrated most of the Afghan army north of the Hindu Kush mountains, the fortified cantonment of Dehdadi having been completed by Sirdar Ghulam Ali Khan and incorporated with Mazar.
The state also contains the British cantonment of Nowgong.
The cantonment accommodates about a brigade of troops.
From Bombay, and a military cantonment, being the headquarters of a brigade in the 6th division of the western army corps.
It is the largest military cantonment in Bengal, with accommodation for two batteries of artillery, a European and a native infantry regiment.
It is an important military cantonment and sanatorium, being the headquarters of a brigade in the second division of the northern army corps.
Bela, which was founded in 1802 as a cantonment, became a district headquarters after the mutiny.
Clive selected it, on account of its commanding position, as the cantonment for the brigade of troops lent him by the nawab of Oudh.
Owing to the importance of the military cantonment of Takhtapul, and its religious sanctity, it has long ago supplanted the more ancient capital of Balkh.
There are a military cantonment, the headquarters of the volunteer corps known as the Assam Valley Light Horse; a government high school, a training school for masters; and an aided school for girls.
The town is the largest cantonment in Lower Bengal, having accommodation for two batteries of artillery, the wing of a European regiment and two native battalions.
The cantonment is situated on the left bank of the Hugh; it has also a large bazaar and several large tanks, and also a parade ground.
To the south of the cantonment is situated the park, created by the taste and public spirit of Lord Wellesley.
There is no railway, but the metalled road from Kotah to the British cantonment of Deoli passes through the state.
There are an American mission, a Roman Catholic church, a museum of antiquities, and a cantonment for a British cavalry regiment.
After British annexation it became an important military cantonment; but only the wing of a European regiment is now stationed here.
Berhampur had a military cantonment, sometimes distinguished as Baupur, containing a wing of a native regiment; but the troops have been transferred elsewhere.
Formerly a military cantonment, it is now only the civil headquarters of the district.
Wadi Haifa is a general designation including the native village of that name, the camp, founded by the British in 1884 as their base in the operations for the relief of General Gordon, and the civil cantonment established at the same time.
This cantonment occupies the site of a Nubian village, and round it has grown a thriving town, at first named Taufikia, but now called Haifa.
Cantonment courts were also set up in the two chief government centres (Zungeru and Lokoja), chiefly for the purpose of enforcing sanitary and municipal regulations.
The police, on the other hand, are more or less equally divided between the provinces (including the establishment at each cantonment), and while their interior economy and organization rests in the hands of a commissioner, they are for purposes of duty under the control of the resident of the province.
It was formerly a British military cantonment and residence of a political agent, but in 1886, when the fortress of Gwalior was restored to Sindhia, the troops at Morar were withdrawn to Jhansi, and the extensive barracks were likewise made over to Sindhia.
The town of Chitaldrug, which is the district headquarters (pop. 1901, 5792), was formerly a military cantonment, but this was abandoned on account of its unhealthiness.
The chief cantonment for the same district is at Mazar-i-Sharif, 12 m.
The cantonment contains the wing of a British battalion and a native regiment.
It lies within the limits of the south suburban municipality, and is a cantonment of native troops.
Dehra is the headquarters of the Trigonometrical Survey and of the Forest Department, besides being a cantonment for a Gurkha force.
Khalifat on the east of Quetta, flanking the Harnai loop of the Sind-Pishin railway; Takatu to the north; Chahiltan (Chiltan) on the south-west; and the great squareheaded Murdar to the south - all overlook the pretty cantonment from heights which range from 10,500 to 11,500 ft.
There are two cathedrals, Church of England and Roman Catholic, and a Presbyterian church, besides the cantonment church buildings for worship. Religious buildings and lands, indeed, occupy an area in Rangoon out of all p oportion to its size.
The cantonment consists of the area inside the old city walls, and is now called Fort Dufferin.
Belgaum contains a cantonment which is the headquarters of a brigade in the 6th division of the western army corps.
The Amir's palace is situated outside the town about midway between it and the Sherpur cantonment which lies about a mile to the north-east.
The Bala Hissar was destroyed and has never since been entirely rebuilt, and a fortified cantonment at Sherpur (one side of which was represented by the historic Bemaru ridge) had taken the place of the old earthworks of the British occupation of 1842 which were constructed on nearly the same site.
BANGALORE, a city of India, the capital of the native state of Mysore, and the largest British cantonment in the south of India.
The principal town is Mazar-i-Sharif, which in modern times has supplanted the ancient city of Balkh; and Taklitapul, near Mazar, is the chief Afghan cantonment north of the Hindu Kush.
In 1855 Dharrsala was made the headquarters of the Kangra district of the Punjab in place of Kangra, and became the centre of a European settlement and cantonment, largely occupied by Gurkha regiments.
But since Napoleon introduced the "war of masses" the only alternative to cantoning the troops is bivouacking, which if prolonged for several nights is more injurious to the well-being of the troops than the slight relaxation of discipline necessitated by the cantonment system, when the latter is well arranged and policed.
The troops nearest the enemy, however, which have to be maintained in a state of constant readiness for battle, cannot as a rule afford the time either for dispersing into quarters or for rallying on an alarm, and in western Europe at any rate they are required to bivouac. In India, the term "cantonment" means more generally a military station or standing camp. The troops live, not in private houses, but in barracks, huts, forts or occasionally camps.