North-west of Stirling by the Caledonian railway.
Of the station of the same name on the Caledonian railway from Callander to Oban, and 274 m.
The Links are the scene every year of the Edinburgh race meetings and of those of the Royal Caledonian Hunt which are held every third year.
Of Perth by the Caledonian railway.
GALGACUS, or perhaps rather CALGACUS, a Caledonian chief who led the tribes of North Britain against the invading Roman army under Cn.
As the Caledonian Canal) was proclaimed as a prohibited area.
Of Dumfries by the Caledonian railway.
Distant by the Caledonian railway, from both Edinburgh and Glasgow.
The Caledonian railway enters the town from the south-west by a bridge across the river, and also owns a ferry to South Alloa, on the opposite shore, in Stirlingshire.
As viewed from Banavie on the Caledonian Canal, it has the appearance of two great masses, one higher than the other, and though its bulk is impressive, its outline is much less striking than that of many other Highland hills.
High Blantyre and Blantyre Works are connected with Glasgow by the Caledonian railway.
West of Montrose, and has a station on the loop line of the Caledonian railway from Forfar to Bridge of Dun.
Of Stirling by the Caledonian railway.
The Caledonian station is Princes Street, where the through trains from the London & North-Western system of England arrive.
In consequence of the large influx of tourists every year the North British and Caledonian railway companies give employment to an enormous staff.
Fort William is a popular tourist resort and place of call for the steamers passing through the Caledonian canal.
N., the Caledonian canal begins, the series of locks between here and Banavie - within little more than a mile - being known as "Neptune's Staircase."
Of the town), as well as by the Caledonian railway via Coatbridge and Whifflet.
Of Falkirk by the North British and Caledonian railways.
The breadth at the mouth is 32 m.; near the head, where the Solway viaduct of the Caledonian railway crosses the firth, it is nearly i 2 m.
Of Glasgow by road, and is the terminus of the Caledonian Railway Company's branch line from Hamilton.
Of Inverness, on the rivers Oich and Tarff and the Caledonian Canal.
At Copenhagen Fields, now covered by the great cattle market (1855) adjoining Caledonian Road, a great meeting of labourers was held in 1834.
The most noteworthy modern institutions in Islington are the Agricultural Hall, Liverpool Road, erected in 1862, and used for cattle and horse shows and other exhibitions; Pentonville Prison, Caledonian Road (1842), a vast pile of buildings radiating from a centre, and Holloway Prison.
The points of interest on its shores are Lochearnhead (at the southern extremity of Glen Ogle), which has a station on the CallanderOban railway, and the ruins of St Blane's chapel; Edinample Castle, an old turreted mansion belonging to the marquess of Breadalbane, situated in well-wooded grounds near the pretty falls of the Ample; Ardvorlich House, the original of Darlinvarach in Scott's Legend of Montrose, and the village of St Fillans at the foot of the loch, the terminus of the branch line of the Caledonian railway from Perth.
Of Glasgow by the North British and Caledonian railways.
North British or Caledonian railway or both, are Bothwell Park, Carfin, Chapelhall, Bellshill (pop. 8786), Holytown, Mossend, Newarthill,Uddingston (pop. 7463), Clydesdale, Hamilton Palace, Colliery Rows and Tennochside.
By the Caledonian railway S.E.
Of Glasgow (of which it is a residential suburb) by the Caledonian railway.
This half-success in a subordinate sphere was, however, so far from coinciding with his aspirations that he had again, in the winter of 1821, begun to turn his attention towards missionary labour in the East, when the possibility of fulfilling the dream of his life was suddenly revealed to him by an invitation from the Caledonian church, Hatton Garden, London, to "make trial and proof" of his gifts before the "remnant of the congregation which held together."
The river is crossed by St John's Bridge of nine arches, completed in 1772 from the designs of John Smeaton and widened a century later; by Victoria Bridge, a modern structure connecting South Street with Dundee Road; and farther south (at the end of Tay Street) by a footway alongside of the viaduct belonging to the Caledonian railway.
From the south the city is entered by the North British railway and the Caledonian railway (which also runs west to St Fillans, east to Dundee and north-west to Aberdeen); and from the north by the Highland railway, the three systems utilizing a general station in the south-west of the town.
Of Forfar by a branch line of the Caledonian railway of which it is the terminus.
Of Glasgow by road, and has stations on the Caledonian and North British railways.
Near it is the noble chase with its ancient oaks, the remains of the Caledonian Forest, where are still preserved some of the aboriginal breed of wild cattle.
The Caledonian Railway bridge at Glasgow, the reconstructed Tay bridge (1882-7), Forth bridge (1882-9), the Tower bridge, London, and the Nile lgridge at Cairo were amongst his principal achievements.
Of Glasgow by the Glasgow & South-Western and Caledonian railways.
By road), and is also the terminus of a branch line of the Caledonian system from Carstairs in Lanarkshire.
Of Glasgow by the Caledonian xailway via Stirling and Callander, and about the same distance by water via the Crinan Canal.
There were (I) a district Caledonia, of which the southern border must have been on or near the isthmus between the Clyde and the Forth, (2) a Caledonian Forest (possibly in Perthshire), and (3) a tribe of Caledones or Calidones, named by the geographer Ptolemy as living within boundaries which are now unascertainable.
1 The site - quite as hotly contested among antiquaries as between Roman and Caledonian - may have been near the Roman encampment of Inchtuthill (in the policies of Delvine, io m.
Caledonian Canal >>
In 1846 its proprietors bought the Monkland canal, and in 1867 the combined undertaking passed into the hands of the Caledonian Railway Company.
The chief companies are the Caledonian, formed in 1845; the North British, of the same date; the Glasgow and South-Western, formed by amalgamation in 1850; the Highland, formed by amalgamation in 1865; and the Great North of Scotland, 1846.
Of Glasgow by the Caledonian railway, and 264 m.
Other institutions are the Royal Caledonian Asylum and the London Orphan Asylum.
It is the terminus of a branch line of the Caledonian railway from Coupar Angus, from which it is 43 m.
North of Dumbarton, on the North British and Caledonian railways.
Of Glasgow, with stations on the Glasgow & South-Western and the Caledonian railways.
Of Stirling by the Caledonian railway, and now has thriving manufactures of woollens (chiefly tweeds, carpets and tartans) and leather, though at the beginning of the 19th century it was only a village.