Coal is mined round Kladno, Buschtehrad, Pilsen, Schlan, Rakonitz, Niirschan and Radnitz, the lastnamed place containing the oldest coal mines of Bohemia (17th century).
The industrial establishments comprise manufactories of woollen cloth, linen and paper, dyeing houses, breweries, distilleries, vinegar works and the central workshops of the Buschtehrad railway.
Near it is the mining town of Buschtehrad (pop. 3510), situated in the centre of very extensive coal-fields.
Buschtehrad was originally the name of the castle only.
The name Buschtehrad was first given to the railway, and then to the town, which had been called Buckow since its foundation in 1700.
There is another castle of Buschtehrad near Hofic. Kladno, which for centuries had been a village of no importance, was sold in 1705 by the grand-duchess Anna Maria of Tuscany to the cloister in Bfewnow, to which it still belongs.