Roger de Lacy in 1194 granted a charter to the burgesses confirming their liberties and right to be a free borough at a fee-farm of 12d.
Two burgesses were returned in 1577, but it was not again represented till the same privilege was conferred on it in 1832.
He was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses in 1759-1760.
King John (1201) constituted Helleston a free borough, established a gild merchant, and granted the burgesses freedom from toll and other similar dues throughout the realm, and the cognizance of all pleas within the borough except crown pleas.
Since the Reform Act of 183 2 the burgesses have returned two members to parliament.
In 1593 Elizabeth incorporated it, and gave the burgesses a town hall and court of pie powder.
In 1327 thirty burgesses in Penzance and thirteen boats paying 13s.
This committee consisted of six members, two barons, two ministers and two burgesses - the two barons selected being John Napier of Merchiston and James Maxwell of Calderwood.
The burgesses returned two members to parliament in 1320 and again in 1338 and 1341, but were never represented again.
In 1383 Bishop Fordham gave the burgesses licence to receive tolls within the borough for the maintenance of the walls, while Bishop Neville granted a commission for the construction of a pier or mole.
At the time of the Domesday Survey Tateshall (now Tanshelf, a suburb of the town) was the chief manor and contained 60 burgesses, while Kirkby, which afterwards became the borough of Pontefract, was one of its members.
Two great central courts sat in Jerusalem to do justice - the high court of the nobles, and the court of burgesses for the rest of the Franks.
The only town charter is one of 1567-1568, in which Queen Elizabeth confirms an ancient privilege of the burgesses that they should not be upon assizes or juries with strangers, relating to matters outside the town.
Thirty-five years later John of Eltham granted to the burgesses the whole town of Grauntpount.
Two burgesses had attended parliament in 1343, but none had been summoned since.
No charter has been found, but a judgment given under a writ of quo warranto in 1578 confirms to the burgesses freedom from toll, passage and pontage, the tolls and stallage of the quay and the right to hold two fairs - privileges which they claimed under charters of Baldwin de Redvers and Isabel de Fortibus, countess of Albemarle, in the 13th century, and Edward Courtenay, earl of Devon, in 1405.
In 1368 an inquisition was taken to ascertain these privileges, and the jurors found that the burgesses held "all the soil of their borough yielding 7s.
In 1201 King John granted the burgesses an annual fair for fifteen days, beginning on the 25th of May.
He was succeeded by his nephew, William Byrd (1652-1704), who was born in London, went to Virginia about 1670, became a successful Indian trader, was a member of the House of Burgesses in 16 771682, was a supporter of Nathaniel Bacon at the beginning of James river, at the falls, visited: the tract in September 1733, and decided to found there the town of Richmond, at the same time selecting and naming the present site of Petersburg.
Also granted the burgesses a market on Saturdays, and three fairs, which were confirmed to them by Henry VII.
Wareham was accounted a borough in Domesday Book, and the burgesses in 1176 paid 20 marks for a default.
Among the curious customs of Halifax was the Gibbet Law, which was probably established by a prescriptive right to protect the wool trade, and gave the inhabitants the power of executing any one taken within their liberty, who, when tried by a jury of sixteen of the frith-burgesses, was found guilty of the theft of any goods of the value of more than 13d.
While the body of the noblesse formed the high court, the court of the burgesses was composed of twelve legists (probably named by the king) under the presidency of the vicomte - a knight also named by the king, who was a great financial as well as a judicial officer.
Like the high court, the court of burgesses had also its assizes 4 - a body of unwritten legal 4 As was noticed above, there were apparently separate assizes for the three principalities, in addition to the assizes of the kingdom.
The bishops did not obtain possession until the reign of John, who during the interval in 1201 gave Hartlepool a charter granting the burgesses the same privileges that the burgesses of Newcastle enjoyed; in 1230 Bishop Richard Poor granted further liberties, including a gild merchant.
The mention of four burgesses at Bridlington (Brellington, Burlington) in the Domesday survey shows it to have been a borough before the Conquest.
In 1553, by which the town was incorporated under the title of the bailiff and burgesses, who were to bear the name of aldermen.
The town was governed by the mayor and burgesses until the corporation was reformed in 1835.
The province of the court included all acts and contracts between burgesses, and extended to criminal cases in which burgesses were involved.
The independent position of the burgesses, who thus assumed a position of equality by the side of the feudal class, is one of the peculiarities of the kingdom of Jerusalem.
The incorporation charter of 1468 granted these to the burgesses, who continue to hold them.
It was incorporated under the name of "Bailiff, Burgesses and Commonalty" by Edward IV.
The bailiff was to be chosen annually by the burgesses, but his election seems to have depended entirely upon the lord of the manor, and, after a contest in 1821 between Lord Forester and Sir W.
Yearly for every toft, granting them the same privileges as the burgesses of Grimsby, and that their reeve should be chosen annually by the lord of the manor at his court leet, preference being given to the burgesses if they would pay as much as others for the office.
Incorporated the town under the title of mayor and burgesses and granted a gild merchant with a hanse.
And a similar one was granted, while in 1489 the king gave the burgesses licence to continue choosing a mayor as they had done in the time of Richard III.
And regulated the choice of the mayor by providing that he should be elected from among the chief burgesses by the burgesses themselves.
By his incorporation charter granted the market rights in the borough to the burgesses, who still hold them under his charter.
Burgesses was almost equally sovereign within its sphere.
A governing charter, under the title of mayor and burgesses, was given by James II.
Berkhampstead (Beorhhamstede, Berchehamstede) was undoubtedly of some importance in Saxon times since there were fifty-two burgesses there at the time of the Conquest.
In 1618, however, the burgesses received an incorporation charter; but after the civil wars the corporate body began to fail through poverty, and in the 18th century had ceased to exist.