BALDWIN II., count of Edessa (Iioo - I118), king of Jerusalem (1118-1131), originally known as Baldwin de Burg, was a son of Count Hugh of Rethel, and a nephew of Godfrey of Bouillon and Baldwin I.
After the capture of Jerusalem he served for a time with Bohemund at Antioch; but when Baldwin of Edessa became king of Jerusalem, he summoned Baldwin de Burg, and left him as count in Edessa.
The name Larissa was common to many "Pelasgian" towns, and apparently signified a fortified city or burg, such as the citadel of Argos.
7 a burg meanwhile the Kruger government regained control.
Between Friedrichsberg and Lollfuss on an island between the Schlei and Burg See is the old château of Gottorp, now used as barracks.
Opposite the Hof burg, the main body of which is separated from the Ring-Strasse by the Hofgarten and Volksgarten, rise the handsome monument of the empress Maria Theresa (erected 1888) and the imperial museums of art and natural history, two extensive Renaissance edifices with domes (erected 1870-89), matching each other in every particular and grouping finely with the new part of the palace.
Burg, trying one plan after another without result, until at last after months of almost hopeless work his perseverance was crowned with success - a success directly consequent upon a strange and bizarre campaign of ten weeks, in which his daring and vigour were more conspicuous than ever before.
The remaining four, Borowast Lest, Estre Lest, Limowast Lest and Wiwart Lest, existed at least as early as the 9th century, and were apparently named from their administrative centres, Burgwara (the burg being Canterbury), Eastre, Lymne and Wye, all of which were meeting places of the Kentish Council.
Burg, Elbing, Danzig and Thorn.
The site of both this and the Roman station is marked by an artificial mound known as Burg Hill, not far from the church, above the river.
See Hewer, Geschichte der Burg and Stadt Saarburg (Trier, 1862).
Leaving Wilmington, N.C., on the 25th of April 1781, he reached Peters burg on the 10th of May.
The most interesting room in this building is that which was occupied by Luther in 1530, where the surroundings may have inspired, though (as is now proved) he did not compose, the famous hymn, Ein' feste Burg ist unser Gott; the bed on which he slept, and the pulpit from which he preached in the old chapel are shown.
Of the town, lies the Burg or Castle, built probably in the 12th century, and now in ruins.
These officials seem to have been located in royal villages (cyninges tun, villa regalis) or fortresses (cyninges burg, orbs regis), which served as centres and meeting-places (markets, &c.) for the inhabitants of the district, and to which their dues, both in payments and services had to be rendered.
There is little or no evidence for the existence of towns other than Roman in early times, for the word urbs is merely a translation of burg, which was used for any fortified dwelling-place, and it is improbable that anything which could properly be called a town was known to the invaders before their arrival in Britain.
The whole group of buildings stood in an enclosure (tun) surrounded by a stockade (burg), which perhaps rested on an earthwork, though this is disputed.
In 1415 he granted, or rather sold, the mark of Brandenburg to his friend Frederick of Hohen- Brandenzollern, burgrave of Nuremberg, this land thus passing burg and into the hands of the family under whom it was des- the Ifohentined to develop into the kingdom of Prussia.
In Germany the relations between prussia Austria and Prussia were becoming unpleasantly and the strained in the question of the admission of the Habs Austro- burg monarchy to the Zollverein, in that of the elector Italian of Hesse and his parliament, in that of the relation War, of the Elbe duchies to the crown of Denmark.
Erdmannsdrffer, Deutsche Geschichte vom WestfoJischei Frieden, his zum Regierungsantritt Friedrichs des Grossen (Berlin 1892-1893); and then follow Ranke, Zur Geschichte von Osterreich uflf Pr6ussen zWischen den Friedensschlssen von Aachen und Hubertus burg (Leipzig, 1875) and Die deutschen Mchte und der Frstenbun, (Leipzig, 1871-1872); K.
On a hill overlooking Landshut is the castle of Trausnitz, called also Burg Landshut, formerly a stronghold of the dukes of Lower Bavaria, whose burial-place was at Seligenthal also near the town.
Missa pro organo; Fantasia and Fugue, " Ad nos, ad salutarem undam "; B-A-C-H Fugue; Variations on Bach's Basso continuo, " Weinen, Klagen "; Bach's Introduction and Fugue, " Ich hatte viel Bekiimmerniss "; Bach's Choral Fugue, " Lob and Ehre "; Nicolai's Kirchliche Festouvertiire, " Ein feste Burg "; Allegri's Miserere; Mozart's Ave Verum; Arcadelt's Ave Maria; Lasso's Regina Coeli.
The old burg, or castle (Kaiserschloss), is picturesquely placed on a rock on the north side of the town.
Near it are the remains of the burg of the Hohenzollerns, the principal existing part of which is the chapel of St Walpurgis, which was destroyed with the rest of the building in 1420, but was restored in 1892.
Not far from these ruins stands the Luginsland, a stronghold with four corner turrets, said to have been built by the burghers in 1367 as a watch-tower against the burg of the Hohenzollerns.
Burg, 1719 By the treaty of Frederiksborg or Copenhagen and 1720.
Among other Dutch words frequently used in place-names may be instanced: rhenoster (rhinoceros) olifant (elephant), mooi (pretty), modder (mud), klip (cliff), berg (mountain), burg or stad (town), zwart (black), klein (little), groote (great), breede (broad), nieuw (new), zuur (sour), bokke (buck).
The name, which is related to the German burg, is appropriate to the situation on a lofty isolated hill in a broad fertile valley, less than 15 m.
See Pohlmann, Geschichte der Stadt Salzwedel (Halle, 1811), and Danneil, Geschichte der koniglichen Burg zu Salzwedel (Salzwedel, 1865).
The medical faculty speedily became famous, and has remained the most important faculty in Wiirz burg ever since.
Laden burg (Ber.
The circulation of water in the Baltic proper must be considered apart from the circulation in the channels connecting it with the Circu1 North Sea; and in this relation the plateau connecting the islands Falster and Moen with the coast of Mecklen burg and Rugen must be taken as the dividing line.
To these must be added the palace of the prince-bishop of Gurk, the burg or castle, existing in its present form since 1777; and the Landhaus or house of assembly, dating from the end of the 14th century, and containing a museum of natural history, and collection of minerals, antiquities, seals, paintings and sculptures.