THEOPHILUS EATON (c. 1590-1658), English colonial governor in America, was born at Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire, about 1590.
In March he took Hillesden House in Buckinghamshire; in May was at the siege of Lincoln, when he repulsed Goring's attempt to relieve the town, and subsequently took part in Manchester's campaign in the north.
In November 1660 by his father's death he had become Viscount Valentia and Baron Mountnorris in the Irish peerage, and on the 20th April 1661 he was created Baron Annesley of Newport Pagnell in Buckinghamshire and earl of Anglesey in the peerage of Great Britain.
BURNHAM BEECHES, a wooded tract of 375 acres in Buckinghamshire, England, acquired in 1879 by the Corporation of the city of London, and preserved for public use.
At the dissolution a plan was set on foot for the creation of a new bishopric from the spoils of the religious houses, which was to include Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire with Dunstable as cathedral city.
Buckingham House was built in 1705 for the duke of Buckinghamshire, and purchased by George III.
Under the City Corporation: Burnham Beeches, Buckinghamshire Coulsdon Commons, Surrey .
NATHANIEL FIENNES (c. 1608-1669) English politician, second son of William, 1st Viscount Saye and Sele, by Elizabeth, daughter of John Temple, of Stow in Buckinghamshire, was born in 1607 or 1608, and educated at Winchester and at New College, Oxford, where as founder's kin he was admitted a perpetual fellow in 1624.
His family seems to have been strongly Puritan and was related to many of those Buckinghamshire families who were prominent in the parliamentary party.
Across the Ouzel in Buckinghamshire, where Leighton railway station is situated, is the urban district of Linslade (pop. 2157).
CHESHAM, a market town in the Aylesbury parliamentary division of Buckinghamshire, England, 26 m.
Educated at Repton, whence he proceeded to Aberdeen University, he became in 1817 vicar of Little Horwood, Buckinghamshire, and devoted his spare time to literature and particularly to the study of Anglo-Saxon.
In 1857 he became rector of Water Shelford, Buckinghamshire, and in the following year was appointed Rawlinson professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford.
He lived ten years longer, and died at his seat at Bradenham House, Buckinghamshire, on the, 9th of January 1848.
GEORGE FREDERICK SAMUEL ROBINSON RIPON, 1ST Marquess Of (1827-1909), British statesman, only son of the 1st earl of Ripon and his wife Lady Sarah, daughter of Robert Hobart, 4th earl of Buckinghamshire, was born in London on the 2 4 th of October 1827.
In 1628 he was at once returned for both Buckinghamshire and Suffolk, and he took his seat for the former county.
Thus a series of arrays of beech leaves, gathered, subject to the precautions indicated, from each of loo beech trees in Buckinghamshire by Professor Pearson, gave 16.1 as the mean number of veins per leaf, the standard deviation of the veins in the series being 1.735.
On the outbreak of the Great Rebellion he took the side of the parliament, using his influence in the country as deputy-lieutenant to prevent the king's raising troops in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire.
On his return he resumed his office as commissioner of the Great Seal, was appointed a commissioner of the treasury with a salary of 1000, and was returned to the parliament of 1654 for each of the four constituencies of Bedford, Exeter, Oxford and Buckinghamshire, electing to sit for the latter constituency.
He still, however, remained on good terms with Cromwell, by whom he was respected; he took part in public business, acted as Cromwell's adviser on foreign affairs, negotiated the treaty with Sweden of 1656, and, elected again to the parliament of the same year as member for Buckinghamshire, was chairman of the committee which conferred with Cromwell on the subject of the Petition and Advice and urged the protector to assume the title of king.
NEWPORT PAGNELL a market town in the Buckingham parliamentary division of Buckinghamshire, England, 56 m.
A Cadmon witnesses a Buckinghamshire charter of about A.D.
Lord Buckinghamshire, the English ambassador at her court, expressed this opinion as early as 1764.
FENNY STRATFORD, a market town in the Buckingham Parliamentary division of Buckinghamshire, England, 48 m.
The counties comprising the greatest proportional amount of woodland fall into two distinct groups - Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex and Kent, with Berkshire and Buckinghamshire; Monmouth, Herefordshire and Gloucestershire.
AYLESBURY, a market-town in the Aylesbury parliamentary division of Buckinghamshire, England, 38 m.
In September, shortly before the expected meeting of parliament on the 3rd of October, Garnet organized a pilgrimage to St Winifred's Well in Flintshire, which started from Gothurst (now Gayhurst), Sir Everard Digby's house in Buckinghamshire, included Rokewood, and stopped at the houses of John Grant and Robert Winter, three others of the conspirators.
By Buckinghamshire and N.W.
Until 1574 one sheriff did duty for Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire, the shire court of the former being held at Bedford.
Payment was resisted by John Hampden, a Buckinghamshire squire; but the judges declared that the king was in the right (i 638).
An English gentleman of the distinguished Buckinghamshire family of Verney was for a time among them at Algiers.
WYCOMBE (officially Chepping Wycombe, also Chipping Or High Wycombe), a market town and municipal borough in the Wycombe parliamentary division of Buckinghamshire, England, 34 m.
His concluding years were spent at Dropmore, Buckinghamshire, where he died on the 12th of January 1834.
A very short time before this event the Unwins had received a visit from the Rev. John Newton, the curate of Olney in Buckinghamshire, with whom they became friends.
During the years 1632-1639 he received the livings of Hackney (1633); Oddington, Oxfordshire; Ickford, Buckinghamshire (1636); and Newington, Oxfordshire; besides being a prebendary of Gloucester from 1632.
In 1847 he was returned for Buckinghamshire, and never again had occasion to change his constituency.
AMERSHAM, a market town in the Wycombe parliamentary division of Buckinghamshire, England, 24 m.
Entering the church in 1838, he was curate at Wylye in Wiltshire, and for a short time at Steeple Claydon in Buckinghamshire, becoming later rector of Down Hatherley in Gloucestershire, and finally (1855) vicar of Rowington in Warwickshire, and rural dean.
At Cambridge he obtained fossil shells from the Pleistocene deposit at Barnwell; in the Vale of Wardour he discovered in Purbeck Beds the isopod named by Milne-Edwards Archaeoniscus Brodiei; in Buckinghamshire he described the outliers of Purbeck and Portland Beds; and in the Vale of Gloucester the Lias and Oolites claimed his attention.