The broch, which stands on a rocky promontory at the south-west of the isle, now measures about 45 ft.
Burra is a contraction of Bo?gar-oy, meaning "Broch island."
1592), natural son of James V., the traces of a church which is believed to have been built by Jarl Thorfinn on his return from Rome, in which the remains of St Magnus reposed until their burial in Kirkwall Cathedral, and, on the Broch of Birsay (95 ft.
Burray (677) is famous for the broch from which the island takes its name (Borgarey, Norse, "island of the broch").
Adjoining the southern chamber is the inside stair conducting to the top of the broch; of this stair some twenty steps remain.
It possesses several examples of Pictish and Scandinavian antiquities, such as the "Odin stone" and the broch of Burrowstone.
At Lamb Head, its southeasterly point, is a broch and Pictish pier, and about 2 m.
The antiquities include a broch in Elsness.
The monumental stone with Ogham inscription, which was discovered in the broch of Burrian, must date from the days of the early Christian missionaries.
P. Broch (2nd ed., Christiania, 1879).
From the mainland, belongs to Caithness and is situated in the parish of Canisbay; South Ronaldshay (1991) is the best cultivated and most fertile of the southern isles of the group. On Hoxa Head, to the west of the large village of St Margaret's Hope, is a broch, or round tower, and the island contains, besides, examples of Picts' houses and standing stones.