East of the breakwater and parallel to it for 2700 ft.
On that side it is sheltered by a huge breakwater, over 2 m.
A breakwater three-quarters of a mile long protects the entrance to the harbour.
Of Pharos and partly formed by a breakwater (built 1871-1873 and prolonged 1906-1907), 2 m.
It is dominated, on the seaward side, by four hills, and approached by a narrow entrance, with forts on either hand; a breakwater affords shelter on the east, and on the west is the Arsenal Basin, often regarded as the original harbour of the Carthaginians and Romans.
The harbour has an artificial breakwater and extensive modern fortifications (Fort Preble, on the Cape Shore; Fort Levett, on Cushing's Island; Fort Williams, at Portland Head; and Fort McKinley, on Great Diamond Island) among the best equipped in the United States.
The tidal harbour, which is owned by a company, is enclosed by two piers and a breakwater, the area being about 30 acres, and the quayage 1400 yds.
A breakwater and sea-wall prevent the blocking of the harbour entrance and encroachments of the sea; and there is another breakwater at Landguard Point on the opposite (Suffolk) shore of the estuary.
The harbour, enclosed within a breakwater, has an area of 24 acres, with 12 to 16 ft.
The harbour is protected by a breakwater nearly 5000 ft.
And is sheltered by a breakwater 1640 ft.
The breakwater starts opposite the promontory of Ras et-Tin, on which is a lighthouse, 180 ft.
Another breakwater starts from the Gabbari side, the opening between the two works being about half a mile.
Farther from the shore, and extending the east breakwater 3 m., the capacity of the outer harbour has been doubled.
Long, the east jetty 3300 ft., and the breakwater - which protects the port from the prevalent north-east winds-2300 ft.
After many years of labour and at a great expenditure of money the Great Western railway has constructed a fine breakwater and railway pier at Goodwick across the lower end of the bay, and an important passenger and goods traffic with Rosslare on the opposite Irish coast was inaugurated in 1906.
The principal United States port is Oswego, where a breakwater has been built, making an outer harbour.
The construction of a breakwater was undertaken in 1907 by the United States government at Cape Vincent to form a harbour where westbound vessels can shelter from storm before crossing the lake.
It is very picturesquely situated on the basaltic peninsula of Ramore Head, with a deep bay on either side, and a harbour protected by the natural breakwater known as the Skerries.
The harbour, with wet and slip dock, occupies both sides of the river from the New Bridge to the sea, and is protected on the south by a pier projecting some distance into the sea, and on the north by a breakwater with a commodious dry dock.
A breakwater and mole, constructed of blocks of concrete.
A breakwater was therefore planned on the Monarch shoal, to double the available anchorage area and increase the frontage of deep-water wharves available in all weathers.
The co-operation of naval and military authorities was obtained for the construction, at imperial expense, of the breakwater designed to save Malta from being abandoned by long and deep draft modern vessels.
Deep. In 1897-1901 the United States government constructed a harbour of refuge, formed by a second breakwater 24 m.
The harbour, which is protected by a breakwater 273 yds.
These passages are guarded by forts placed on islands intervening between the breakwater and the mainland, and themselves united to the land by breakwaters.
At the close of 1857, £8,000,000, of which the breakwater cost over £2,500,000, had been expended on the works; in 1889 a further sum of £680,000 was voted by the Chamber of Deputies for the improvement of the port.
From the west end of the bay a breakwater extends north-east for some 4000 ft.
From breakwater and pier arms project laterally.
There is good anchorage outside the Victoria basin under the lee of the breakwater, and since 1904 the foreshore east of the south pier has been reclaimed and additional wharfage provided.
It contains a number of commodious official residences, churches, hospitals, a laboratory, covered market, &c. The port is protected by a breakwater and provided with a pier on which is the customs-house.
The harbour, San Pedro Bay, originally open and naturally poor, has been greatly improved by the Federal government; a breakwater 9250 ft.
The harbour, sheltered by a breakwater, will admit vessels of 300 tons at high water; and the river has been dammed to form a basin for the canal which runs to Launceston.
Inscriptions record repairs to the breakwater by Antoninus Pius in 139 in fulfilment of a promise made by Hadrian before his death.
A magnificent breakwater, 4200 ft.
This breakwater changed an open roadstead into a harbour completely sheltered on the most exposed or south-west side; but there was still liability in certain months to storms from the north-west and south-east.
Two additional arms were therefore constructed, consisting of a north-east and north-west breakwater, leaving two openings, one Boo ft.
The making of a breakwater has long been under consideration.
This range acts as a " breakwater " to the clouds, arresting and condensing the moisture which is carried northwards by the south winds.
The natural harbour of Newton (as it used to be called) was improved by a breakwater, and was connected by a tramway with Maesteg, whence coal and iron were brought for shipment.
A breakwater has remedied this defect and Vera Cruz is no longer considered a dangerous port.
Inside the breakwater the depth varies from 10 to 26 ft.
These improvements comprise a series of inner breakwaters and piers and an outer breakwater of stone and cement, 4 m.
Since 1886 the prisoners have been employed upon the construction of a vast harbour of refuge, for which the breakwater extends from Boddam Point northwards across the bay.
Sometimes the bags are made of enormous size, as at Aberdeen breakwater, where the contents of each bag weighed 50 tons.
The canvas was laid in a hopper barge and there filled with the concrete and sewn up. The enormous bag was then dropped through a door in the bottom of the barge upon the breakwater foundation.
There is a commodious harbour with breakwater and pier.
It stands also as a breakwater between the eastern and western divisions of the Mediterranean Sea.
Railways, telegraphs, lighthouses, the harbour works at Suez, the breakwater at Alexandria, were carried out by some of the best contractors of Europe.
This remarkable natural breakwater, which is about 50 ft.
Railways connect the harbour with the town, and the town with Motupiko, &c. The harbour, with extensive wharves, is protected by the long and remarkable Boulder Bank, whose southern portion forms the natural breakwater to that anchorage.
The scheme comprised three enclosing breakwaters - on the west an extension of the Admiralty pier in a south-easterly direction for a length of 2000 ft.; on the south an isolated breakwater, 4200 ft.
Long, curving round shoreward at its eastern end to accord with the direction of the third breakwater; on the east, which runs out from the shore in a southerly direction for a length of 3320 ft.
Among these may be mentioned the following: the quarrying of stone for the great Portland breakwater, nearly 2 m.
A little farther south, on Gowanus Bay, is another basin, the Erie, of 161 acres, protected by a breakwater m.
About a mile and a half east of Lamlash village lies Holy Island, which forms a natural breakwater to the bay.
A breakwater protects its mouth; it has a lighthouse, and is defended by a fort on Signal Hill.
Warrnambool has a fine port with a viaduct and breakwater pier 2400 ft.
To overcome the difficulty of landing from the roadstead a breakwater was built at the mouth of the Baakens River in 1856, but it had to be removed in 1869, as it caused a serious accumulation of sand.
From the foot of the Bluff a breakwater extends over 2000 ft.
The poor harbour called the "port," protected by a breakwater, has been cut out of the rock (shingle).
Opposite Lewes is the Delaware Breakwater (begun in 1818 and completed in 1869, at a cost of more than $2,000,000), which forms a harbour 16 ft.
On the western breakwater is a colossal statue of Ferdinand de Lesseps by E.