Devonport, Birkenhead and Northcote are beautifully situated on the north shore of the inlet, and are served by steam-ferries.
Upon Lord Birkenhead fell the difficult task of organizing the department and establishing regulations to deal with conditions altogether unprecedented.
"FREDERICK EDWIN SMITH BIRKENHEAD, 1ST V1scoUNT (1872-), Lord Chancellor of Great Britain, the son of a barrister, was born at Birkenhead July 12 1872, and was educated at the local school, whence he proceeded with a classical scholarship to Wadham College, Oxford.
Lord Birkenhead brought to the performance of his new duties the vigour which had always been characteristic of him; his judgments in the two final Courts of Appeal were weighty and lucid; and he quickly made himself a force in the Lords' debates.
BIRKENHEAD, a municipal, county and parliamentary borough, and seaport of Cheshire, England, on the river Mersey, 1 9 5 m.
It lies opposite Liverpool, on the east shore of the peninsula of Wirral, and is served by the Birkenhead (London & North-Western and Great Western joint) and the Wirral railways.
The rise of Birkenhead, from a hamlet of some 50 inhabitants in 1818 to its present importance, was due in the first place to the foresight and enterprise of William Laird, who purchased in 1824 a few acres of land on the banks of a marshy stream, known as Wallasey Pool, which flowed into the Mersey about 2 m.
Birkenhead Park was opened in 1847, Mersey Park in 1885; while a tract of moorland 6 m.
Distant in the township of Thurstaston, was allotted to the borough of Birkenhead in 1887; and Meols Common, comprising over 50 acres of pastureland on the shores of Liverpool Bay, was made over to the corporation in 1900.
In 1878 the old Monks Ferry station on the Great Western system was superseded by the opening of the Woodside passenger station, and a few years later the Birkenhead town station was opened.
In 1886 the Mersey tunnel, connecting Birkenhead with Liverpool, was opened by the prince of Wales.
Woodside Ferry may still be regarded as the principal entrance to Birkenhead and the Wirral from Liverpool.
In 1842 the Birkenhead Commissioners purchased it, under an act of parliament, from the lord of the manor, Mr F.
Though at the outset a mere commercial offshoot of Liverpool, Birkenhead has acquired a large export trade in coal and manufactured articles, importing guano, grain and cattle in return.
In 1847 the Birkenhead Dock Warehousing Company opened its first warehouse, capable of holding 80,000 tons of goods.
On the north and north-east, and partly on the east, Birkenhead is bounded by its docks, which extend, for a distance exceeding 2 m., from the landing-stage at Woodside Ferry to the Wallasey Bridge.
The great Float, now occupying the site of Wallasey Pool, separates Birkenhead from Poulton-cum-Seacombe in the parish of Wallasey.
The entrances to the Birkenhead Docks are capable of docking the largest class of steamers afloat.
In 1861 Birkenhead was created a parliamentary borough, returning one member.
The greater part of Manchester, all Liverpool and Birkenhead, and innumerable busy towns of medium size, which in other parts of England would rank as great centres of population, stand on this soil.
It is more usual to tunnel under such channels, and the numerous Thames tunnels, the Mersey tunnel between Liverpool and Birkenhead, and the Severn tunnel, the longest in the British Islands (42 m.), on the routes from London to South Wales, and from Bristol to the north of England, are all important.
Of Birkenhead, of which it forms a suburb.
The most famous was that of the British troopship " Birkenhead," on the 26th of February 1852, off Danger Point, midway between Cape of Good Hope and Cape Agulhas.
Of Birkenhead, on the Wirral railway.
In June 1862 the American minister in London drew Lord Russells attention tothe fact that a vessel, lately launched at MessrsLairds yard at Birkenhead, was obviously intended to be en~iloyed as .a Confederate cruiser.