In the great tract of forest between the Ganges and Kistna rivers they occur locally as far west as Bilaspur and Mandla; they are met with in the Western Ghats as far north as between latitude 17 0 and 18°, and are likewise found in the hill FIG.
The province, therefore, now consists of the five British divisions of Jubbulpore, Nerbudda, Nagpur, Chhattisgarh and Berar, which are divided into the twenty-two districts of Saugor, Damoh, Jubbulpore, Mandla, Seoni, Narsinghpur, Hoshangabad, Nimar, Betul, Chhindwara, Wardha, Nagpur, Chanda, Bhandara, Balaghat, Raipur, Bilaspur, Amraoti, Akola, Ellichpur, Buldana and Wun; and the fifteen tributary states of Makrai, Bastar, Kanker, Nandgaon, Kairagarh, Chhuikhadan, Kawardha, Sakti, Raigarh, Sarangarh, Chang Bhakar, Korea, Sirguja, Udaipur and Jashpur.
BILASPUR, a town and district of British India in the Chhattisgarh division of the Central Provinces.
The District Of Bilaspur has an area of 7602 sq.
It takes its rise in a mountainous region which is described as the wildest of all wild parts of the Central Provinces, crosses the Bilaspur boundary near Seorinarain, and after a course of 25 m.
Within Bilaspur the river is everywhere navigable for six months in the year.
Besides the natural water supply afforded by the rivers, Bilaspur abounds in tanks.
Bilaspur, which was formerly a very isolated tract, is now traversed in three directions by lines of the Bengal-Nagpur railway.
In 1897 the general death-rate was as high as 90 per thousand, rising to 297 in Bilaspur town.
From Bilaspur; the population on this reduced area of Bilaspur in 1901 was 917,240.
All the northern landholders of Bilaspur belong to this tribe, which consequently occupies an influential position.
Coal and iron are the chief minerals; sandstone for building purposes is quarried near Bilaspur and Seorinarain.
From 1818 to 1830 Bilaspur came under the management of the British government, the Mahratta chief of Nagpur being then a minor.