The principal groups are those in the Lakes of Bourget, Geneva, Neuchatel, Bienne, Zurich and Constance lying to the north of the Alps, and in the Lakes Maggiore, Varese, Iseo and Garda lying to the south of that mountain range.
The settlement of Sutz, one of the largest in the Lake of Bienne, extends over six acres, and was connected with the shore by a gangway nearly roo yds.
At any rate he thought he was menaced if he was not, and migrated to the Ile St Pierre in the Lake of Bienne, where he once more for a short, and the last, time enjoyed that idyllic existence which he loved.
(3) The Seeland (Lakeland) and the Jura, extending from Bienne and its lake across the Jura to Porrentruy in the plains and to the upper course of the Birs.
The capital is Bern, while the other important towns are Bienne, Burgdorf, Delemont or Delsberg (50J3 inhabitants), Porrentruy or Pruntrut (6959 inhabitants), Thun, and Langenthal (4799 inhabitants).
Other industries in the Alpine region are wood-carving (at Brienz) and wine manufacture (on the shores, of the lakes of Bienne and of Thun).
Watchmaking is the principal industry of the Jura, Bienne and St Imier being the chief centres of this industry.
The more important, with dates of acquisition, are the following:-Laupen (1324), Hasli and Meiringen (1334), Thun and Burgdorf (1384), Unterseen and the Upper Simme valley (1386), Frutigen, &c. (1400), Lower Simme valley (1439-1449), Interlaken, with Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen and Brienz (1528, on the suppression of the Austin Canons of Interlaken), Saanen or Gessenay (1555), Kdniz (1729), and the Bernese Jura with Bienne (1815, from the bishopric of Basel).
In the Swiss territory the line of demarcation passes through Bienne, Fnibourg, Saanen, Leuk and Monte Rosa.
BIENNE, or Biel, an industrial town in the Swiss canton of Bern.
Bienne is m.
To the north-west of Bienne two funicular railways lead up to Evilard (or Leubringen) and Macolin (or Magglingen), both situated on the slope of the Jura.
First mentioned in the 12th century, Bienne continued for centuries to be under the jurisdiction of the prince-bishop of Basel.