Nehring of Berlin (SB.
When the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, I was an undergraduate at Rice University.
Fitr Instrumentenkunde, by permission of Julius Springer, Berlin, FIG.
See Lives by Becher (Berlin, 1894) and Pagel (Leipzig, 1906); Rudolf Virchow als Patholog by Marchand (Munich, 1902); Rudolf Virchow als Arzt by Ebstein (Stuttgart, 1903); Geddchtnisrede auf R.
He took part in the excavations at Olympia in 1878, became an assistant in the Berlin Museum in 1880, and professor at Berlin (1884) and later at Munich.
He became teacher of science successively at the French gymnasium in Berlin, and at the military academy, and on the foundation of the university of Berlin in 1810 he was chosen professor of physics.
He died at Berlin on the Irth of October 1851.
He was appointed professor of physics at Berlin in 1839, and died there on the 12th of July 1877.
Educated at Leipzig and Berlin, he became extraordinary professor in 1883 and ordinary professor in 1892 of Egyptology in the university of Berlin, and in 1885 he was appointed director of the Egyptian department of the royal museum.
Gr., Berlin, 1886, i.
Puchstein, Die griechischen Tempel in Unteritalien and Sicilien (Berlin, 1899), 138-184.
Winer, Comparative Darstellung (Berlin, 1866; Eng.
In this same year he competed for the Steiner prize of the Berlin Academy, with a treatise entitled "Memoria sulle superficie de terzo ordine," and shared the award with J.
The Berlin congress decided that it should remain with Servia.
(Berlin, 1854); H.
In 1815 he interrupted his studies at Berlin to serve as a volunteer in the campaign against Napoleon, and was wounded in the battle of Ligny.
Subsequently he entered Berlin University as a student of theology, but soon turned to scientific subjects.
Keller, Memel, Pregel and Weichselstrom (2 vols., Berlin, 1900); and Schickert, Wasserwege and Deichwesen in der Memelniederung (Konigsberg, 1901).
He was educated at the military school at Berlin and afterwards at the university of Oxford.
As a boy he attended the Volksschule of his native village, and at the age of seventeen, having passed through the gymnasium of Kdslin, went to Berlin to study medicine.
About the same time, having shown too open sympathy with the revolutionary or reforming tendencies of 1848, he was for; olitical reasons obliged to leave Berlin and retire to the seclusion of Wiirzburg, the medical school of which profited enormously by his labours as professor of pathological anatomy, and secured a wide extension of its reputation.
In the early part of 1902 he slipped from a tramcar in Berlin and fractured his thigh; from this injury he never really recovered, and his death occurred in Berlin on the 5th of September 5902.
When, towards the end of his student-days in Berlin, he was acting as clinical assistant in the eye department of the Berlin Hospital, he noticed that in keratitis and corneal wounds healing took place without the appearance of plastic exudation.
Eventually he was able to prove that the biological doctrine of omnis cellula ecellula applies to pathological processes as well as to those of normal growth, and in his famous book on Cellular-pathologic, published at Berlin in 1858, he established what Lord Lister described as the "true and fertile doctrine that every morbid structure consists of cells which have been derived from pre-existing cells as a progeny."
In 1880 he entered the Reichstag as representative of a Berlin constituency, but was ousted in 1893 by a Social Democrat.
In the local and municipal politics of Berlin again he took a leading part, and as a member of the municipal council was largely responsible for the transformation which came over the city in the last thirty years of the 19th century.
In respect cf hospitals and the treatment of the sick his energy and knowledge were of enormous advantage to his country, both in times of peace and of war, and the unrivalled accommodation for medical treatment possessed by Berlin is a standing tribute to his name, which will be perpetuated in one of the largest hospitals of the city.
Virchow (Berlin, 1903); and Briefe Virchows an seine Eltern 1839-1864, by Marie Rabl (Leipzig, 1907).
A bibliography of his works was published at Berlin in 1901.
Naturfor., Berlin, 1887) to the colour of the soles of the hind-feet as a means of determining the relationship of the domesticated cat of Europe.
In 1867 he became privatdozent in Berlin University, and in the following year was chosen professor of physics at the Zurich Polytechnic: then, after a year or two at Wurzburg, he was called in 1872 to Strassburg, where he took a great part in the organization of the new university, and was largely concerned in the erection of the Physical Institute.
LANDSBERG BEI HALLE, a town in Prussia on the Strengbach, on the railway from Berlin to Weissenfels.
The fragment by Alberic was edited by P. Heyse (Berlin, 1856); Lamprecht's German text by H.
Gedicht, The Wars of Alexander (Berlin, 1889).
ALBRECHT RITSCHL (1822-1889), German theologian, was born at Berlin on the 25th of March 1822.
His father, Georg Karl Benjamin Ritschl (1783-1858), became in 1810 pastor at the church of St Mary in Berlin, and from 1827 to 1854 was general superintendent and evangelical bishop of Pomerania.
Perikles (Berlin, 1890).
Von Kirchmann under the title Philosophische Werke (with biography, &c., Berlin, 1868; 2nd ed, 1882-1891), by Kuno Fischer, Die Hauptschriften zur Grundlegung seiner Philosophie (1863), with introduction by Ludwig Fischer (1892).
His chief work was Das Leben der Seele (Berlin, 18 5518 57; 3rd edition, 1883).
Finally in 1888 he went to Berlin as successor to H.
Von Helmholtz in the chair of experimental physics and directorship of the Berlin Physical Institute.
Bonnell, De dignitate majoris domus (Berlin, 1858); E.