BERHAMPUR, a town of British India, the headquarters of Murshidabad district, in Bengal, situated on the left bank of the river Bhagirathi, 5 m.
Berhampur was fixed upon after the battle of Plassey as the site of the chief military station for Bengal; and a huge square of brick barracks was erected in 1767, at a cost of 30o,000.
In the municipality of Berhampur is included the remnant of the once important, but now utterly decayed city of Cossimbazar.
Berhampur, Ganjam, India >>
Berhampur, Murshidabad, India >>
BERHAMPUR, a town of British India, in the presidency of Madras.
Berhampur had a military cantonment, sometimes distinguished as Baupur, containing a wing of a native regiment; but the troops have been transferred elsewhere.
There is more than one meaning of Berhampur discussed in the 1911 Encyclopedia.