The belfry belongs to the 16th and early 17th century.
The public buildings, which include an interesting watch-tower and belfry, are large, substantial and well cared for.
The belfry tower of five storeys with three terraces, surmounted by a golden figure, is a striking feature.
The fine octagonal belfry was built early in the 15th century.
It consists of a group of old-fashioned timber and plaster buildings, a tall belfry, and a diminutive church of white marble, founded in 1190 by King Stephen Nemanya, who himself turned monk and was canonized as St Simeon.
The Dynamics of a Particle was written on the occasion of the contest between Gladstone and Mr Gathorne Hardy (afterwards earl of Cranbrook); and The New Belfry in ridicule of the erection put up at Christ Church for the bells that were removed from the Cathedral tower.
A fine belfry (12th, 13th and 15th centuries) commanding the town is built on the terrace, beneath which are hollowed in the rock the oratory and hermitage of St Emilion, and adjoining them an ancient monolithic church of considerable dimensions.
The most conspicuous feature is the clock tower and belfry, zoo ft.
A belfry of the 15th century and the church of St Crepin of the same period are of some interest.
In this part are the law court, the chateau and the hotel de ville (built in the 18th century), and a belfry tower of the 13th and 17th centuries is in the immediate neighbourhood.
The Kremlin, which was not destroyed, gleamed white in the distance with its towers and the belfry of Ivan the Great.
Pop. (1906) 4499 The town has a belfry, the finest in French Flanders, dating from the middle of the 16th century and restored in the 19th century.
The hotel de ville, with a graceful facade surmounted by a lofty belfry, is in the late Gothic style of the early 6th century and was completed in modern times.
The former has a belfry of the 14th century, restored in the 17th and r9th centuries, and remains of a château.
The hotel de ville, begun in 1550, a belfry of the 14th and 18th centuries and several old mansions are of interest.
In the centre of the city stands the unfinished Belfry (Beffroi), a square tower some 300 ft.
In the belfry are the damiaatjes, small bells presented to the town, according to tradition, by William I., count of Holland (d.
There are also a belfry of the 17th century and two old churches.
A belfry of 1403 and several houses of the Renaissance period, some of which are built over ancient wine-cellars, are architecturally notable.
Another notable form in old wooden building is the belfry (klokstapel) of some village churches, examples of which are seen at Habo near Jonkoping and Hasjo in Jemtland on the northern railway.
Attached to the hotel de ville is a fine belfry of the 15th century, but unfortunately it was seriously damaged by fire in 1879.
The church of High Halden, in the neighbourhood, is remarkable for its octagonal wooden tower constructed of huge timbers, with a belfry of wooden tiles (shingles), of the time of Henry VI.
The chief items were a new Great Gate with two flanking towers, a belfry for St George's Chapel and houses in the Lower Bailey, probably for the canons, and in the Upper Bailey, probably for the royal household.
The hotel de ville is established in a mansion of Renaissance architecture; a town gateway of the 15th century, surmounted by a belfry, is also of architectural interest.
It is an episcopal see, and possesses a Gothic cathedral, dating from 1524, and constructed with massive embattled walls and belfry so as to resemble a fortress.
In the middle of the town is a gateway surmounted by a belfry, dating from the 15th century.
The belfry which rises in the centre of the facade dates from the end of the 13th century; it has long been famous for its chime of bells, but the civic fathers have caused modern airs to be substituted for the old hymn.
The most notable of the civil buildings are the hotel de ville, a modern building with a belfry of the 14th century, and the old Hotel des Monnaies, the papal mint which was built in 1610 and is now used as a music-school.
Grouped around their belfry-towers and organized within their gilds, they made merry in their free jocular language over their own hardships, and still more over the vices of their lords.
Abbeville has several other old churches and an hotel-de-ville, with a belfry of the 13th century.
The belfry, which rises above the right-hand doorway, was erected about 1520 by the doge, Ottaviano da Campofragoso, and the cupola was erected after the designs of the architect Galeazzo Alessi in 1567.
The church of St Quentin in the same square as the belfry is almost as ancient as NotreDame, and the people of Tournai call it the "little cathedral."