Olhao has a good harbour at the head of the Barra Nova, a deep channel among the sandy islands which fringe the coast.
Long by 12 broad), and opposite on the north bank is Barra Point, the river being here contracted to 21 m.
Of the capital, Conceicao da Barra (municipality, 5628), the port of Sao Matheus and Cachoeira do Itapemirim (4049), an important commercial centre in the south.
The chief islands of the Outer Hebrides are Lewis-with-Harris (or Long Island), North Uist, Benbecula, South Uist, Barra, the Shiants, St Kilda and the Flannan Isles, or Seven Hunters, an uninhabited group, about 20 M.
The total length of this group, from Barra Head to the Butt of Lewis, is 130 m., the breadth varying from less than 1 m.
There were also the Macdonalds of Clanranald and Glengarry (descendants of Somerled), with the powerful houses of Macleod of Dunvegan and Macleod of Harris, M`Neil1 of Barra and Maclean of Mull.
It has been commonly believed to have two breeding-places in the British Islands, namely, St Kilda and South Barra; but, according to Robert Gray (Birds of the West of Scotland, p. 499), it has abandoned the latter since 1844, though still breeding in Skye.
The Scottish seaboard is divided for administrative purposes into twenty-seven fishery districts, namely, on the east coast, Eyemouth, Leith, Anstruther, Montrose, Stonehaven, Aberdeen, Peterhead, Fraserburgh, Banff, Buckie, Findhorn, Cromarty, Helmsdale, Lybster, Wick (15); on the north, Orkney, Shetland (2); on the west, Stornoway, Barra, Loch Broom, Loch Carron and Skye, Fort William, Campbeltown, Inverary, Rothesay, Greenock, Ballantrae (10).
BARRA, or Barray (Scand.
This place derives its name from the castle of Kishmul standing on a rock in the bay, which was once the stronghold of the M`Neills of Barra, one of the oldest of Highland clans.
On Barra Head, the highest point of Berneray, and also the most southerly point of the outer Hebrides chain, is a lighthouse 680 ft.
Within the protectorate are various petty kingdoms, such as Barra, to the north of the Gambia, and Kommbo, to the south.
St Mary's Isle was acquired in 1806; McCarthy's Isle was bought in 1823; the Ceded Mile was granted by the king of Barra in 1826; and British Kommbo between 1840 and 1855.
At both places the chief sanctuary bore the name E-barra (or E-babbara) "the shining house" - a direct allusion to the brilliancy of the sun-god.