The Baro, Pibor and Akobo form for 250 m.
Hos numeros Primus invenit clarissimus vir Iohannes Neperus Baro Merchistonij; eos autem ex eiusdem sententia mutavit, eorumque ortum et usum illustravit Henricus Briggius..
His first mention of the subject occurs in a letter to Schikhart dated the i ith of March 1618, in which he writes - " Extitit Scotus Baro, cujus nomen mihi excidit, qui praeclari quid praestitit, necessitate omni multiplicationum et divisionum in meras additiones et subtractiones commutata, nec sinibus utitur: at tamen opus est ipsi tangentium canone: et varietas, crebritas, difficultasque additionum subtractionumque alicubi laborem multiplicandi et dividendi superat."
Unites with the Baro, the river below the confluence taking the name of Sobat.
Railway from Baro on the Niger via Bida and Zaria to Kano - a distance of about 400 m.
In 1909 it was connected by railway with Baro, 40 m.
In the mountains and plateaus of Kaffa and Galla in the south-west of Abyssinia rise the Baro, Gelo, Akobo and other of the chief affluents of the Sobat tributary of the Nile.
The Baro on reaching the plain becomes, however, a navigable stream affording an open waterway to the Nile.
Below the mouth of the Kaduna, on the right bank of the Niger, is Baro, the starting-point of a railway to Kano.
In 1910 the British began dredging with the object of obtaining from the mouth of the river to Baro a minimum depth of 6 ft.
The name Barotac is from the Spanish word baro, which means mud, as well as the last syllables of tac and lutac. With nuevo, translated as new, added to the name, it distinguished it from another town called Barotac Viejo just a few town to the north.
Any great expansion in the cotton trade is however dependent on the development of cheap and efficient means of transport - hence the importance, commercially, of the Baro-Kano railway, with its base on the navigable Niger.
On the Niger at the head of the delta are Asaba (west bank) and Onitsha (east bank); Iddah (Ida), in the palm-oil zone; Lokoja on the west bank opposite the confluence with the Benue, and the headquarters of the protectorate's military force; Baro, on the east bank, 70 m.