BARACALDO, a river-port of north-eastern Spain, in the province of Biscay; on the left bank of the river Nervion or Ansa (in Basque, Ibaizabal), 5 m.
Few Spanish towns have developed more rapidly than Baracaldo, which nearly doubled its population between 1880 and 1900.
The low flat country round Baracaldo is covered with maize, pod fruit and vines.
Another very important industry is the manufacture of dynamite and other explosives at Baracaldo, closely connected with the mining interests.
Bilbao (pop. 83,306), the capital and principal port, and Baracaldo (15,013), an important industrial town, are described'.
It occupies a small but fertile and beautiful valley, shut in by mountains on every side except towards the sea, and containing the fortified haven of Portugalete, the industrial town of Baracaldo, and the villages of Santurce and Las Arenas, where the Nervion broadens to form the Bay of Bilbao at its mouth.