AUCKLAND, a city and seaport on the east coast of North Island, New Zealand, in Eden county; capital of the province of its name, and the seat of a bishop. Pop. (1906) 37,736; including suburbs, 82,101.
Auckland harbour, one of the best in New Zealand, is approachable by the largest vessels at the lowest tide.
There are an opera-house and an academy of music. The Auckland University College and the grammar school are the principal educational establishments.
Auckland has industries of sugar-refining, ship-building and paper-, ropeand brick-making, and timber is worked.
There is communication both south and north by rail, and regular steamers serve the ports of the colony, the principal Pacific Islands, Australia, &c. From 1853 to 1876 Auckland was the seat of the provincial government, and until 1865 that of the central government, which was then transferred to Wellington.
Auckland is under municipal government.
Auckland Islands >>
Besides the three larger islands numerous satellites belong to the subregion, as Lord Howe, Norfolk and Kermadec islands, with the Chatham, Auckland and Macquarie groups.
From Auckland (New Zealand), 2410 from Sydney and 4200 from San Francisco.
GEORGE EDEN AUCKLAND, EARL OF (1784-1849), English statesman, was the second son of the 1st Baron Auckland.
Lord Auckland resolved to enter upon a war, and on the 1st of October 1838 published at Simla his famous.
Lord Auckland had the double mortification of seeing his policy a complete failure and of being superseded before his errors could be rectified.
Trotter, The Earl of Auckland (" Rulers of India" series), 1893.
GISBORNE, a seaport of New Zealand, in Cook county, provincial district of Auckland, on Poverty Bay of the east coast of North Island.
The British government appointed Lords Auckland and Holland as negotiators, and the result of the deliberations was the treaty of the 31st of December 1806, which contained no provision against impressments and provided no indemnity for the seizure of goods and vessels.
The river Waikato, which reaches the west coast not far from Manukau Harbour near Auckland, here leaves the lake.
In the previous year the earl of Auckland, governor-general, had yielded to the "Orientalists" who opposed Duff, and adopted a policy which was a compromise between the two.
SPENNYMOOR, a market town in the Bishop Auckland parliamentary division of Durham, England, 6 m.
He attended the grammar school of Bishop Auckland for a short time, but a large portion of his boyhood was spent in Westmorland.
The Aucklands contain two of the finest harbours in the Pacific. Six hundred miles north of Auckland, the volcanic Kermadecs, covering 8208 acres, are picturesquely clothed with vegetation.
Cretaceous coals have long been worked in the North Island, north of Auckland, on the shores of the Bay of Islands, where the age of the coal is shown by its occurrence under the Whangarei or Waimio limestone.
Meteorological statistics are collected at Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, and Dunedin and eight other stations; and observations of rainfall, temperature, and wind-directions are received from eighteen stations of the second class.
Of the east and south-east coasts; in the North Island the eastern and northern parts of Wellington province, and the southern and broadest part of Auckland province are still very scantily peopled.
The cyanide process of gold extraction, and the returns obtained by its means from the great Waihi mine in the Upper Thames, caused an outbreak of gold fever, which led to the opening up of a few good and a great many worthless quartz-mines in the Auckland fields.
There were in its early years six distinct settlements - Auckland, Wellington, Nelson, New Plymouth, Canterbury and Otago - between which communication was for several years irregular and infrequent.
For twenty years thereafter the political history of the colony consisted of two long, intermittent struggles - one constitutional between the central government (first seated in Auckland, but after 1864 in Wellington) and the powerful provincial councils, of which there were nine charged with important functions and endowed with the land revenues and certain rating powers.
Thereafter large deposits were profitably exploited in the south and west of South Island and in the Thames and Coromandel districts of the Auckland province.
BISHOP AUCKLAND, a market town in the Bishop Auckland parliamentary division of Durham, England, II m.
Distant, at Auckland St Andrews, a fine cruciform structure, formerly collegiate, in style mainly Early English, but with earlier portions.
Above Bishop Auckland there is a small and very ancient church at Escomb, massively built and tapering from the bottom upward.
The industrial population of Bishop Auckland is principally employed in the neighbouring collieries and iron works.
Along with these, similarly, hornblende and diabase occur in the Pelew Islands and gneiss and mica 1 These are dependencies of New Zealand, as are also the following islands and groups which lie apart from the main Polynesian clusters, nearer New Zealand itself: Antipodes Islands, Auckland Islands, Bounty Islands, Campbell Islands, Chatham Islands, Kermadec Islands.
There are several crateriform hills, and Hali San (Mount Auckland) has an altitude of 6558 ft.
Of the middle of the inhabited group, the distance to San Francisco is about 2100 m.; to Auckland, New Zealand, about 3810 m.; to Sydney, New South Wales, about 4410 m.; to Yokohama, about 3400 m.; to Hong-Kong, about 4920 m.; to Manila, about 4890 m.
Missions: Ceylon (diocese of Kandy), New Zealand (diocese of Auckland), N.
In 1840 the country became a British colony, and soon afterwards George Selwyn was consecrated bishop. He was so impressed with the work of native evangelists that he founded a college in Auckland where such teachers could be trained.
In 1861 Patteson was consecrated bishop of Melanesia, and the Auckland training school was removed to Norfolk Island.
In Melbourne's government of 1835 he was president of the board of control, in which position he strongly supported the Indian policy of Lord Auckland; he returned to the same office in July 1846 as a member of Lord John Russell's cabinet; and in February 1851 he went to the House of Lords as Baron Broughton of Broughton Gyfford.
All looked peaceful until Lord Auckland, prompted by his evil genius, attempted by force to place Shah Shuja upon the throne of Kabul, an attempt which ended in gross mismanagement and the annihilation of the British garrison in that city.
His great ambition was to recover Peshawar from the Sikhs; and when Captain Alexander Burnes arrived on a mission from Lord Auckland, with the ostensible object of opening trade, the Dost was willing to promise everything, if only he could get Peshawar.
But Lord Auckland had another and more important object in view.
Lord Auckland forthwith resolved upon the hazardous plan of placing a more subservient ruler upon the throne of Kabul.
(See Afghanistan.) Within a month after the news reached Calcutta, Lord Auckland had been superseded by Lord Ellenborough, whose first impulse was to be satisfied with drawing off in safety the garrisons from Kandahar and Jalalabad.
The principal mountain in the latter, Hal-la-san (or Mount Auckland), according to Chinese stories, was in eruption in the year 1007.
Distrusting the attitude of the Amir Dost Mahommed towards Russia, Lord Auckland in 1839 attempted to restore Shah Shuja to the throne against the wishes of the Afghan people.
AUCKLAND ISLANDS, a group in the Pacific Ocean, discovered in 1806 by Captain Briscoe, of the English whaler "Ocean," in 50° 24' S., 166° 7' E.
Subsequently, under Lord Auckland, a further supply of Chinese cultivators and manufacturers was obtained - men well acquainted with the processes necessary for the production of green tea, as the former set were with those requisite for black.
Burnes, however, was unable to prevail on the governor-general, Lord Auckland, to respond to the amir's advances.
He replied by renewing his relations with Russia, and in 1838 Lord Auckland set the British troops in motion against him.
On the r r th of August the pope, on the king's request, provided him with a prebend in St Andrew's Auckland collegiate church.