Pop. of parish of Ascot Heath (1901), 1927.
Going in state to Ascot the queen was hissed by some ladies as her carriage drove on to the course, and two peeresses, one of them a Tory duchess, were openly accused of this unseemly act.
Complaints are often raised about the cruelty of what is called tame stag hunting, and it became a special subject of criticism that a pack should still be kept at the Royal kennels at Ascot (it was abolished in 1901) and hunted by the Master of the Buckhounds; but it is the constant endeavour of all masters and hunt servants to prevent the infliction of any injury on the deer.
The community afterwards united with the Devonport Sisters, founded by Miss Sellon in 1849, and together they form what is known as Ascot Priory.
ASCOT, a village in the Wokingham parliamentary division of Berkshire, England, famous for its race-meetings.
Of London, is called Ascot and Sunninghill; the second name belonging to an adjacent township with a population (civil parish) of 4719.
The race-course is on Ascot Heath, and was laid out by order of Queen Anne in 1711, and on the 11th of August in that year the first meeting was held and attended by the queen.
The principal race is that for the Ascot Gold Cup, instituted in 1807.
Herod, Royal Ascot (London, 1900).