ARPINO (anc. Arpinum), a town of Campania, Italy, in the province of Caserta, 1475 ft.
Arpino occupies the lower part of the site of the ancient Volscian town of Arpinum, which was finally taken from the Samnites by the Romans in 305 B.C. It became a civitas sine suffragio, but received full privileges (civitas cum suffragio) in 188 B.C. with Formiae and Fundi; it was governed as a praefectura until the Social War, and then became a municipium.
Below Arpino, in the valley of the Liris, between the two arms of its tributary the Fibrenus, and 4 m.