DESSAU, a town of Germany, capital of the duchy of Anhalt, on the left bank of the Mulde, 2 m.
Of Anhalt-Dessau, "the old Dessauer."
Besides the rock-salt, which is excavated by blasting, the saline deposits of Stassfurt yield a considerable quantity of deliquescent salts and other saline products, which have encouraged the foundation of numerous chemical factories in the town and in the neighbouring village of Leopoldshall, which lies in Anhalt territory.
FRIEDRICH LUDWIG GEORG VON RAUMER (1781-1873), German historian, was born at Worlitz in Anhalt on the 14th of May 1781.
1822), as Kammerdirektor in Anhalt, did excellent service to agriculture.
Aschersleben was probably founded in the 11th century by Count Esico of Ballenstedt, the ancestor of the house of Anhalt, whose grandson, Otto, called himself count of Ascania and Aschersleben, deriving the former part of the title from his castle in the neighbourhood of the town.
ALEXISBAD, a spa of Germany, in the duchy of Anhalt, lying under the Harz mountains, 1000 ft.
The place was founded in 1810 by Duke Alexius of Anhalt-Bernburg.
ANHALT-DESSAU (1712-1760), who entered the Prussian army in 1725, saw his first service as a volunteer in the War of the Polish Succession (1734-35), and in the latter years of the reign of Frederick William held important commands.
Von Anhalt and seine Sohne (Dessau, 1852); G.
Vi.; von Orlich, Prinz Moritz von Anhalt-Dessau (Berlin, 1842); Crousatz, Militdrische Denkwiirdigkeiten des Fiirsten Leopold von Anhalt-Dessau (1875); supplements to Milit¢r Wochenblatt (1878 and 1889); Siebigk, Selbstbiographie des Fiirsten Leopold von Anhalt-Dessau (Dessau, 1860 and 1876); Hosa.us, Zur Biographie des Fiirsten Leopold von Anhalt-Dessau (Dessau, 1876); Wilt-dig, Des Alten Dessauers Leben and Taten (3rd ed., Dessau, 1903); Briefe Konig Friedrich Wilhelms I.
JOHANN ARNDT (1555-1621), German Lutheran theologian, was born at Ballenstedt, in Anhalt, and studied in several universities.
In 1603 it passed to the house of Anhalt and was later the property of the empress Catherine II.
Wolfgang of Anhalt, and by the representatives of Nuremberg and Reutlingen.
BERNBURG, a town in the duchy of Anhalt, Germany, on the Saale, 29 m.
From Halle by rail, formerly the capital of the now incorporated duchy of Anhalt-Bernburg.
This Book of Concord was accepted by the Lutheran churches of Sweden and of Hungary in 1593 and 1597; but it was rejected by the Lutheran churches of Denmark, of Hesse, of Anhalt, of Pomerania and of several of the imperial cities.
At length the union of the two churches was effected by the force of the civil authorities in Prussia (1817), in Nassau (1817), in Hesse (1823), in Anhalt-Dessau (1827) and elsewhere.
This category includes German places in the Kingdom of Saxony, in the Prussian province of Saxony, in the Grand Duchy of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, in the Duchies of Anhalt, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Saxe-Altenburg, and Saxe-Meiningen, and in the Principalities of Reuss, Schwarzburg-Sondershausen and Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt.
(1729-1796), empress of Russia, was the daughter of Christian Augustus, prince of Anhalt-Zerbst, and his wife, Johanna Elizabeth of Holstein-Gottorp. The exact date and place of her birth have been disputed, but there appears to be no reason to doubt that she was right in saying that she was born at Stettin on the 2nd of May 1729.
Her father, who succeeded to the principality of Anhalt-Zerbst in 1746 and died in 1747, was a general in the Prussian service, and, at the time of her birth, was military commandant at Stettin.
The princess of Anhalt-Zerbst was the daughter of Christian Albert, bishop of Lubeck, younger brother of Frederick IV., duke of Holstein-Gottorp, Peter's paternal grandfather.
The Order of Albert the Bear, a family order or Hausorden, was founded in 1836 by the dukes Henry of Anhalt-Kothen, Leopold Frederick of Anhalt-Dessau and Alexander Charles of Anhalt-Bernburg.
The badge is a gold oval bearing in gold a crowned and collared bear on a crenellated wall; below the ring by which the badge is attached to the ribbon is a shield with the arms of the house of Anhalt, on the reverse those of the house of Ascania.
ZERBST, a town of Germany, in the duchy of Anhalt, situated on the Nuthe, II m..N.W.
In 1307 it came into the possession of the Anhalt family, and from 1603 till 1793 was the capital of the collateral branch of AnhaltZerbst.
In 1 793 it passed to Anhalt-Dessau.
Political Divisions.The empire is composed of the following twenty-six states and divisions: the kingdoms of Prussia, Bavaria, Saxony and Wtirttemberg; the grand-duchies of Baden, Hesse, Mecklenburg-Schwerin,, Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Oldenburg and Saxe-Weimar; the duchies of Anhalt, Brunswick, Saxe-Altenburg, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and Saxe-Meiningen; the principalities of Lippe-Detmold, Reuss-Greiz, Reuss-Schleiz, Schaumburg-Lippe, Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt, SchwarzburgSondershausen and Waldeck-Pyrmont; the, free towns of Bremen, Hamburg and Lubeck, and the imperial territory of Alsace-Lorraine.
Country, but the eastern por- Saxe-Coburg-Gotha tion of the northern lowlands Anhalt is well provided with timber.
There are two centres of the beet sugar production: Magdeburg for the districts Prussian Saxony, Hanover, Brunswick, Anhalt and Thuringia, and Frankfort-on-Oder at the centre of the group Silesia, Brandenburg and Pomerania.
The provinces of Saxony and Hanover, with Thuringia and Anhalt, produce half the whole amount.
It centres mainly in the Prussian province of Saxony, where Magdeburg is the chief market for the whole of Germany, in Anhalt, BrunsSugar.
,, Anhalt I 2
The second system mentioned above (Burgermeistereiverfassung) prevails in the Rhine province, the Bavarian Palatinate, Hesse, Saxe-Weimar, Anhalt, Waldeck and the principalities of Reuss and Schwarzburg.
Anhalt 301,953 11,699
Apostolic vicariates exist in Dresden (for Saxony), and others for Anhalt and the northern missions.
But neither desertion nor death was able to crush entirely the militant Protestants, among whom Christian, prince of Anhalt (1568-1630), was rapidly becoming the most prominent figure.
Thus, under Maximilian of Bavaria and Christian of Anhalt respectively the two great parties were gaining a better idea of their own needs and of each others aims and were watching vigilantly the position in the duchies of Cleves, Julich and Berg, where a dispute over the succession was impending.
Schwarzburg-Sondershausen was the first to succumb (1819); Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt (1822), Saxe-Weimar and Anhalt-Bernburg (1823), Lippe-Detmold and MecklenburgSchwerin (1826) followed suit so far as their enclaved territories were concerned; and in 1826 Anhalt-Dessau and Anhalt-Cothen, after several years resistance, joined the Prussian Customs-Union.
The chiefs of the Houses of Anhalt and Luneburg, Duke Henry of Saxony, Joachim II.
Rudolph never forgave the treachery of his brother, and was secretly negotiating (at the time when he again appeared as champion of Catholicism) with Christian of Anhalt, the leader of the German Protestants.
BALLENSTEDT, a town of Germany, in the duchy of Anhalt, on the river Getel, 20 m.
The palace of the dukes of Anhalt, standing on an eminence, contains a library and collections of various kinds, including a good picture gallery.
COTHEN, or Kothen, a town of Germany, in the duchy of Anhalt on the Ziethe, at the junction of several railway lines, 42 m.
The former palace of the dukes of Anhalt-Cothen, in the old town, has fine gardens and contains collections of pictures and coins, the famous ornithological collection of Johann Friedrich Naumann (1780-1857), and a library of some 20,000 volumes.
In 1547 the town was taken from its prince, Wolfgang (a cadet of the house of Anhalt), who had joined the league of Schmalkalden, and given by the emperor Charles V., with the rest of the prince's possessions, to the Spanish general and painter, Felipe Ladron y Guevara (1510-1563), from whom it was, however, soon repurchased.
From 1603 to 1847 Cothen was the capital of the principality, later duchy, of Anhalt-Cuthen.
They were written at the request of the princess of Anhalt-Dessau, and contain an admirably clear exposition of the principal facts of mechanics, optics, acoustics and physical astronomy.
NIENBURG ON THE SAALE, a town of Germany, in the duchy of Anhalt, situated at the influx of the Bode into the Saale, 6 m.