857) and Ibn ul-Anbari (885-939).
The collection, in its present form, contains 126 pieces of verse, long and short; that is the number included in the recension of al-Anbari, who had the text from Abu `Ikrima of Dabba, who read it with Ibn al-A`rabi, the stepson and inheritor of the tradition of al-Mufaddal.
988) that in his time 128 pieces were counted in the book; and this number agrees with that contained in the Vienna MS., which gives an additional poem, besides those annotated by al-Anbari, to al-Muraqqish the Elder,and adds at the end a poem by al-Harith ibn Iiilliza.
It is curious that this tradition is ascribed by al-Marzugi and his teacher Abu 'Ali al-Farisi to Abu `Ikrima of Dabba, who is represented by al-Anbari as the transmitter of the correct text from Ibn al-A`rabi.
Rich at Bagdad of a MS. with brief glosses; and at Vienna there is a modern copy of a MS. of which the original is at Constantinople, the glosses in which are taken from al-Anbari, though the author had access also to al-Marzugi.
The commentary appears to be eclectic, drawn partly (perhaps chiefly) from Ibn as-Sikkit (died 858), and partly from Abu-Ja`far Ahmad ibn `Ubaid ibn Nasih, one of al-Anbari's sources and a pupil of Ibn al-A`rabi; and the compilation seems to be older in date than al-Anbari, since its glosses are often quoted by him without any name being mentioned.
In 1891 the first volume of an edition of the text, with a short commentary taken from al-Anbari, was printed at Constantinople.