Coast of the island of Alsen, of which it is the chief town, and 17 m.
ALSEN (Danish Als), an island in the Baltic, off the coast of Schleswig, in the Little Belt.
End of Alsen there is a lighthouse.
In 1864 the Prussians under Herwarth von Bittenfeld took Alsen, which was occupied by 9000 Danish troops under Steinmann, thus bringing the Danish war to a close.
Since 1870 Alsen has been fortified.
The coast of the Baltic, on the other hand, possesses few islands, the chief being Alsen and Fehmarn off the coast of Schleswig-Holstein, and Rtigen off Pomerania.
(For map, see Denmark.) In addition to the mainland, which decreases in breadth from south to north, the province includes several islands, the most important being Alsen and Fehmarn in the Baltic, and Rom, Sylt and Fohr of the North Frisian chain in the North Sea.
The islands of Alsen and Fehmarn are separated from the coast by narrow channels.