From the east two main roads similarly converge upon the City, which they enter by Aldgate (the suffix in this and other names indicating the former existence of one of the City gates).
The Minories, a street leading south from Aldgate, takes name from an abbey of nuns of St Clare (Sorores Minores) founded in 1293.
In the latest or third Roman enclosure the line of the wall` ran straight from the Tower to Aldgate, where it bent round somewhat to Bishopsgate.
The one on the east was doubtless situated near where Aldgate afterwards stood.
From Aldgate and the city walls, marks the extent of the open space around the walls of London known as the Pomoerium.
Bishop Stubbs in his Introduction to the Historical Works of Ralph de Diceto writes: " St Paul's stood at the head of the religious life of London, and by its side, at some considerable interval, however, St Martin's le Grand (1056), St Bartholomew's, Smithfield (1123) and the great and ancient foundation of Trinity, Aldgate " (1 r08).
In the year 1215 the barons having received intelligence secretly that they might enter London with ease through Aldgate, which was then in a very ruinous state, removed their camp from Bedford to Ware, and shortly after marched into the city in the night-time.
On their return after many centuries of exile most of them settled in the neighbourhood of Aldgate and Aldersgate.
On the 11th of May he made a desperate attack upon Aldgate, followed by soo men.
Moorgate is said to have fetched £166, Aldersgate £91, Aldgate £177, Cripplegate £90, and Ludgate £148.
The first foundation was Holy Trinity, Aldgate, by Queen Maud, in 1108; Carlisle was an English cathedral of Augustinian canons.
He lived for some time at Aldgate, London, in the house of his former pupil, Thomas Howard, now duke of Norfolk, who retained a sincere regard for his tutor and left him a small pension in his will.
From 1706 till his death in February 1730 he was rector of St Botolph-Without, Aldgate, London, being unceasingly engaged in philanthropic and literary pursuits.
At Mile End, so called from its distance from the City (Aldgate), the rebels from Essex under the leadership of Wat Tyler assembled (1381), and here Richard II.
In 1700 he became rector of St Botolph's, Aldgate, London, and in 1701 archdeacon of Huntingdon.