AARAU, the capital of the Swiss canton of Aargau.
Aarau is an important military centre.
Aarau, an ancient fortress, was taken by the Bernese in 1415, and in 1798 became for a time the capital of the Helvetic republic. Eight miles by rail N.E.
Meyer of Aarau and Muller of Engelberg in papier mache, now in Zurich.
Fricker, Geschichte der Stadt and Bader zu Baden (Aarau, 1880).
The capital of the canton is Aarau, while other important towns are Baden, Zofingen (4591 inhabitants), Reinach (3668 inhabitants), Rheinfelden (3349 inhabitants), Wohlen (3274 inhabitants), and Lenzburg (2588 inhabitants).
Bern kept the south-west portion (Zofingen, Aarburg, Aarau, Lenzburg, and Brugg), but some districts, named the Freie Amter or "free bailiwicks" (Mellingen, Muri, Villmergen, and Bremgarten), with the county of Baden, were ruled as "subject lands" by all or certain of the Confederates.
See also Argovia (published by the Cantonal Historical Society), Aarau, from 1860; F.
Lehmann, Die argauische Strohindustrie, Aarau, 1896; W.
Argau (fine illustrated work on castles), Aarau, 2 vols., 1904-1906; W.
Argau, 3 vols., Aarau, 1898-1905; J.
Rochholz, Aargauer Weisthumer, Aarau, 1877; E.
Zschokke, Geschichte des Aargaus, Aarau, 1903.
Imhof, Beitrdge zur Anatomie von Perla maxima (Aarau, 1881); K.
For a long distance, past Soleure (below which the Grosse Emme flows in on the right), Aarburg (where it is joined by the Wigger, right), Olten, Aarau, near which is the junction with the Suhr on the right, and Wildegg, where the Hallwiler Aa falls in on the right.
The history of the Winkelrieds of Stans from 1248 to 1534 has been minutely worked out from the original documents by Hermann von Liebenau, in a paper published in 1854, and reprinted at Aarau in 1862, with much other matter, in his book, Arnold von Winkelried, seine Zeit and seine That.
(Aarau, 1902); Gertrud Zuricher, Kinderspiel u.
In the early 19th century the Meyer family of Aarau conquered in person the Jungfrau (1811) and by deputy the Finsteraarhorn (1812), besides opening several glacier passes, their energy being entirely confined to the Bernese Oberland.